Question for electricians

mark090852
mark090852 Posts: 993
edited February 2011 in The Clubhouse
I don't know if there are any electricians here on the board but thought I would post this just in case somebody had some knowledge. Sorry for the length of this question...

Here at our house we have a "time of use" billing system for our electricity. We have an electrical meter that breaks down our electricity usage into "peak" and "off peak" usage. We are billed a much lower rate for electricity used during "off peak" times compared to "peak" times.

In our basement right by the electrical panels is something called a "Rumsey Control". It is supposed to automatically turn off our two electric water heaters when "peak" time starts and turn them back on when "off peak" time starts. Peak time is from 8:00am until 8:00pm Monday thru Friday. All other time is off peak. Well, the Rumsey Control is no longer functioning correctly. It has a red led light on the outside that shows when things are shut off during peak time but it is no longer accurate. As if it doesn't know the correct time. I'm wondering if anybody knows how it get's its time? I have contacted our utility company, Penn Elec. but they say we have to get an electrician to look at it. That it is not their responsibility. When I contact an electrician they all say they can't touch it, that I have to have Penn Elec. come look at it. Nobody is willing to check it out. So for now, I just go to the basement each morning and evening and manually throw the switches for the two circuit breakers. I know I can get timers installed that will do the same thing but I'd like to get the Rumsey Control to work if possible.

Anybody have any experience with this type of thing?

Thanks,
Mark
McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
Post edited by mark090852 on

Comments

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    edited February 2011
    Is there a phone line connected to the Rummy Control?
  • mark090852
    edited February 2011
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Is there a phone line connected to the Rummy Control?

I don't think so. Not that I can see.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited February 2011
    These maybe completely different, but just a thought...my Rainbird sprinkler controller has a lithium battery so even when power fails the sprinkler time doesn't wack...just like the CMOS batt. on PC motherboard...maybe the Rumsey gas one also????
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mark090852
    edited February 2011
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    These maybe completely different, but just a thought...my Rainbird sprinkler controller has a lithium battery so even when power fails the sprinkler time doesn't wack...just like the CMOS batt. on PC motherboard...maybe the Rumsey gas one also????

You might be right. I'll have to take off the covers and see what I can see. The funny thing is, it seems dead on accurate for turning the water heaters off at 8:00am each day. I've stood down there and watched it and heard it click and the red led lights up. But then I have to go to work and when I come home around five the red light is off and the water heaters are powered. So it gets the "off" time correct but switches the heaters back on ahead of schedule. I'm stumped.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited February 2011
    well it's the weekend set timers on your phone and check it hourly....good luck
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • On3s&Z3r0s
    On3s&Z3r0s Posts: 1,013
    edited February 2011
    Sounds like an old timer-based solution... the modern versions in a lot of areas do communicate back to the utility so that they can better control the demand leveling, but I think that's more for HVAC applications. Are you sure it's called a Rumsey Control or is that just a colloquial name for the thing? It sounds like the electricians know what you're talking about when you talk to them about it. If it's in your house and ties into your service panel and the power co has said they don't want to mess with it, then it's probably on you to fix it unfortunately. You might want to look into water heater timers in general and whether or not it makes sense to have an electrician replace the thing outright.
  • mark090852
    edited February 2011
    well it's the weekend set timers on your phone and check it hourly....good luck

The weekend is not "peak time" so the Rumsey Control should be inactive all weekend, but I'll keep an eye on it.
  • mark090852
    edited February 2011
    On3s&Z3r0s wrote: »
    Sounds like an old timer-based solution... the modern versions in a lot of areas do communicate back to the utility so that they can better control the demand leveling, but I think that's more for HVAC applications. Are you sure it's called a Rumsey Control or is that just a colloquial name for the thing? It sounds like the electricians know what you're talking about when you talk to them about it. If it's in your house and ties into your service panel and the power co has said they don't want to mess with it, then it's probably on you to fix it unfortunately. You might want to look into water heater timers in general and whether or not it makes sense to have an electrician replace the thing outright.

I'm sure about the name. Rumsey Control is written on the outside of the box. You're right about water heater timers. I will probably give up on this and have an electrician just wire around the Rumsey and put in a digital timer for the two water heaters if that is possible. I was just hoping there might be a simple solution to correct the malfunction of the Rumsey Control.
  • On3s&Z3r0s
    On3s&Z3r0s Posts: 1,013
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if that's just the name of the company that made it... like Johnson Controls. It is a pain that you have two heaters and so need to control two circuits. I can see where it would be nicer to have something just at the panel to take care of it. But if the unit is malfunctioning then it's unlikely an electrician would be able to fix it, he would just help you install a replacement.

If you do open it up, I'd recommend de-energizing the circuits that feed it first for safety, of course, and then maybe look around for a model number or something that you could use to do a Google search and see if you could figure out where you might get it repaired or what a suitable in-kind replacement might be.
  • mark090852
    edited February 2011
    On3s&Z3r0s wrote: »
    I wonder if that's just the name of the company that made it... like Johnson Controls. It is a pain that you have two heaters and so need to control two circuits. I can see where it would be nicer to have something just at the panel to take care of it. But if the unit is malfunctioning then it's unlikely an electrician would be able to fix it, he would just help you install a replacement.

If you do open it up, I'd recommend de-energizing the circuits that feed it first for safety, of course, and then maybe look around for a model number or something that you could use to do a Google search and see if you could figure out where you might get it repaired or what a suitable in-kind replacement might be.

Thanks for the advice. I will be careful if I decide to open it up. I think you're right about the company. I googled "Rumsey Control" and found a Rumsey Electric company in the Philadelphia area. I'm in central PA so it is certainly something that may have been built by that company and supplied to builders in this area. This house was built in '93 and we are the second owners. I guess it could be considered old technology and the newer timers would probably be the way to go. I see a trip to Lowes and Home Depot in my future. Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.
  • JimKellyfan
    JimKellyfan Posts: 696
    edited February 2011
    I am not certain on the timer thing you have, but wanted to share another helpful for you or those interested.
    We, last year, paid a guy ( to do what we could have done ) to install a re-circulatory pump atop our water heater. Also, there is a valve of some form at the further sink.
    What it does, is based on how I set the timer, it recirculates the hot water in the lines.
    This keeps hot water ready instantly and saves us thousands of gallons per year. Too, really enjoyable not leaving the tap water on for 3 -4 minutes awaiting hot water each time.
    The pump can be set to 15 minute or more intervals.
    I do 15 minute during our shower and evening times, one hour the rest of the night.
    Here is a link to the site of the pump we have on ours, there are others, but this site explains even more.
    http://www.grundfos.com/
    Good luck on your other timer issue.
    Hope this helps in some way.
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2011

That is my thought also, a battery of such could die about 10 yrs later. But turn off breaker first before taken about. :wink:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• I am one of those who make hobbies work or occupation of life. At least until you get bored. I work as an IT manager in a metropolitan company, I have been fond of electronics and computers since childhood. In some past, I was both a touring musician and an art school graduate, if interested. The time has come and I realized that I was doing something wrong and radically changed my occupation. And no matter how ridiculous it sounds, I even considered the profession of an electrician https://www.vocationaltraininghq.com/what-is-a-master-electrician/ ) And how was everything with you? Did you immediately decide?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Hey d-bag, post your spam elsewhere!