Sub not working with AV Receiver!

Options
Barrett
Barrett Posts: 4
edited January 2011 in Troubleshooting
This is so frustrating. Someone please help me soon so I don't send these things back to Newegg, if I don't need to. :confused:

Here's what I have:
Sony AV Receiver - STR-DH510
- 100w/channel. 8 ohm output (no 4ohm switch). Subwoofer RCA out.
Polk Audio RM6750 Speaker System
- 5.1 setup. 100 watt powered subwoofer. 8 ohm impedance, I believe the sub has 4 ohms (BUT, I'M VERY UNSURE).
LINK TO "SPECS" IN MANUAL FOR SPEAKERS

I thought I'd be set when I bought all the speakers. When I get it, I hook it up and hear nothing from the sub, I only hear a loud booming bass sound when the contacts of the subwoofer cable touches it (no sound is inputted into receiver). All the other speakers are working. A thought I have is that the subwoofer could be dead or not working properly.

I called Sony, they seemed pretty stupid, and I wasn't sure if I could trust the guy I spoke to. He told me that the sub is 4 ohms so it won't work.

I'm trusting that you guys will have my for sure answer. I'm having a feeling I'll need to buy a different set with different specs. I'm getting impatient, ha.
Post edited by Barrett on

Comments

• Barrett
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I just tried figuring things out. So I have a new issue which may be part of the solution:

I figured out that when I plug the RCAs (red and white) in to my receiver that the sub emits bass but when the optical cable is plugged in it won't, but with both my front and rear speakers emit sound. This is baffling me, I've tried messing with the receiver settings too. I also determined it's not the optical cable because I tried two.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The sub is powered. It does not matter how many ohms it is. You should be using an RCA cable from the receivers sub out to one of the subs inputs. Try this and tell us what you get.
    Welcome to club Polk
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Outfitter03
    Outfitter03 Posts: 563
    edited January 2011
    Options
    This is the best option from the setup manual for your speakers. It will require that you have a sub out cable (Commonly refered to as RCA Cable). Your post indicated that you have a subwoofer cable. I have listed some links for you to check to make sure we are talking apples to apples on what a subwoofer cable looks like. Some examples:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023601&p_id=620&seq=1&format=2

http://signalcable.com/subcable.html

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm

OPTION #1—
    Receivers that include a “Sub Out” feature—the most common hookup method with
    Dolby®
    Digital receivers.
    NOTE: Use either the L or R Line input (On Subwoofer) (another hookup option is to use a Y-split cable
    and connect both L and R Line inputs). After you make this Sub Out connection, turn
    the "Low Pass" filter fully clockwise.

• Connect all speakers directly to the receiver. When using method #1, adjust
    your receiver’s speaker configurations as follows: Set Front, Center and Surround
    speakers to “small.”

• Receiver Settings:
    • Front, Center, and Surrounds = “SMALL”
    • Subwoofer = “ON,” or “YES,” or “PRESENT”
    • Set the crossover frequency on the receiver to 120Hz.
    Consult your receiver’s owner’s manual for speaker configuration.

Your receiver does have the sub out connection. It is located bottom middle of back side of AVR and is black in the picture and labeled audio out on top and subwoofer on bottom. The sub needs to be plugged in and the low pass filter on the sub set fully clockwise so that it does not double filter the input signal. The sub volume should be set somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2.
  • Barrett
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I've already taken care of that. I guess I didn't explain it well enough.

Here's the predicament:
    Subwoofer cable is going from the receiver to the subwoofer.
    Optical cable is going from my Xbox into the receiver in the "TV " option input, I get sound out of the 5 speakers except the subwoofer.
    HDMI cable is going from my Satellite box to the "SAT" option input, I get sound out of the 5 speakers except the subwoofer.

BUT, if I use the red and white RCAs to input my sound TO the receiver then the receiver DOES send signal to the subwoofer from the receiver to the subwoofer. I have chosen various different channel types (dolby digital, etc.) so that it outputs to all speakers including the subwoofer and I still receive no subwoofer sound. I hope this explains it, I've tried my best.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited January 2011
    Options
    With the RCAs, you're probably getting Dolby Pro Logic. This will work with either a 5.1 or stereo source. With the optical, you can get 5.1, but you need to make sure you have a 5.1 source (movie, etc...) WITH LFE.
  • Barrett
    edited January 2011
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    With the RCAs, you're probably getting Dolby Pro Logic. This will work with either a 5.1 or stereo source. With the optical, you can get 5.1, but you need to make sure you have a 5.1 source (movie, etc...) WITH LFE.

So does that mean I should use both optical and RCAs? Thats where I'm getting confused. How will I ever get the high quality sound?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Are you playing back source material encoded with an LFE track, such as a DVD with 5.1 audio?
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Did you turn the subwoofer on in the receiver menu? Pull out the receiver menu, turn to the page about turning the subwoofer output on, and let us know how that goes.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You still have to setup the inputs in the receiver, did you go through the whole receiver/ system setup process ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vijaybs
    Options
    Just have the same 5.1 speakers and same issue with my Denon s720w receiver. Barret did your issue git resolved if yes pls let me know how? Thanks
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    vijaybs wrote: »
    Just have the same 5.1 speakers and same issue with my Denon s720w receiver. Barret did your issue git resolved if yes pls let me know how? Thanks

This thread is 6 YEARS OLD dude. Open another thread with the question and we can help you out.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • fkrohberger
    Options
    Hello, I am new here and curious to know if this issue has been resolved yet?!? I have the same issue with my Yamaha receiver
    RX-V381 and Polk powered sub. Thank you!
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Hello, I am new here and curious to know if this issue has been resolved yet?!? I have the same issue with my Yamaha receiver
    RX-V381 and Polk powered sub. Thank you!

Ditto to you…give us some more Info and maybe we can help..:
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • fkrohberger
    Options
    Basically the a/v cable from receiver to the L or R of the sub
  • fkrohberger
    Options
    Do I need to add a Y to the cable and split the signal?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options

On some subs it does help. Most if you use the left input if your sub doesn't have a dedicated LFE jack is the best input. My old Jensen sub with a Sunfire amp benefited from a Y cable.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

On some subs it does help. Most if you use the left input if your sub doesn't have a dedicated LFE jack is the best input. My old Jensen sub with a Sunfire amp benefited from a Y cable.

Somewhere I read that using both inputs typically increases the volume by 3 dbs, but that would double the volume so who knows?!? Worth a shot since it doesn’t cost you much…
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • fkrohberger
    Options
    Hello! Thank you for your promp reply’s!
    I did go to Best Buy today for the audio splitter.
    LoL …I think my SUB BLOWN … NO good…LoL
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Hello! Thank you for your promp reply’s!
    I did go to Best Buy today for the audio splitter.
    LoL …I think my SUB BLOWN … NO good…LoL

We need more information dude! What sub, what receiver, and how are you trying g to hook it up?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1