in praise of fun

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited November 2001 in Music & Movies
Last night, ragged out by you wacky forum people, I went home and determined to watch a FUNNY MOVIE to de-stress me.

I watched MIDNIGHT RUN, and laughed and laughed! If you have not seen this great funny film, the only film in which DeNiro does real comedy (aside from the more serious KING OF COMEDY), you must go rent it.

It's not a great DVD (it's sort of grainy in some parts, and nonanamorphic, which sucks), but it includes a really different Danny Elfman score (in very expansive stereo surround) that's funky and distinctive and hip. And it has the possitively best performance ever given by Charles Grodin on film (he's usually a real bite in the ****, but in this he's just natural and funny). And then there's that perfectly nuanced DeNiro performance. His acting ability is truly staggering. You could watch this whole film with the sound muted and still laugh at DeNiro's face.

And it has so many great great lines, it's almost as line-y as RAISING ARIZONA...

"Do I detect some kind of sarcasm here?"

Jon -- "It's the truth, I can't fly! I suffer from aviaphobia, it means that I can't fly! I also suffer from acrophobia and claustraphobia."
Jack -- "Well, I tell you what: if you don't cooperate you're gonna suffer from FISTAPHOBIA."

"Is this moron number one? Put moron number two on the phone... You and that other dummy better get more personally involved in your work or I'm gonna stab ya through the heart with a pencil."

"Here come two words for you: shut the **** up."

For two hours, I completely forgot about you mugs.

Any other fun movies out there? Any other great MIDNIGHT RUN lines I'm missing?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2001
    Good call Micah. I have not seen this movie in ages. Looks like I might just have to revisit it soon. I get so caught up in the latest releases, I forget about some of the older classics.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    I don't know if its out on DVD but ‘Brain Donors" is great. It is the same type of humor sorta maybe a combo of it and "Monty Phythone". You really have to pay attention or watch it few times because you will miss a lot from laughing.
    Chris
    Chris :)