Squeezebox Touch?

Options
FTGV
FTGV Posts: 3,649
edited March 2011 in Electronics
I am seriously considering one of these to pull the hi rez downloads (and CD rips)from my PC so I can play them on my main rig.Since it is about 30ft away from my PC I would prefer to use it wireless instead of stringing a long length of ethernet cable between them.
I assume most users operate it wieless so was wondering if you have experienced any issues with dropouts,interference or reduced sound quality etc?Also has anyone tried or use the USB input to play hi rez files from a thumb drive or USB HD?
Post edited by FTGV on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited December 2010
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    I am seriously considering one of these to pull the hi rez downloads (and CD rips)from my PC so I can play them on my main rig.Since it is about 30ft away from my PC I would prefer to use it wireless instead of stringing a long length of ethernet cable between them.
    I assume most users operate it wieless so was wondering if you have experienced any issues with dropouts,interference or reduced sound quality etc?Also has anyone tried or use the USB input to play hi rez files from a thumb drive or USB HD?

None whatsoever to your first question. It has been flawless and I own the SQB - Touch and I previously owned a SQB-II and also own the Squeeze Radio for the bedroom.

I have tried the thumb drive but not got it to work properly. The inter-phase it seems is slow and a little clumsy. To be fair I haven't read the instructions or given it the proper time to learn.

One of the best ever audio additions I have made was the SQB II and the Touch is even cooler.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • FTGV
    edited December 2010
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    None whatsoever to your first question.
    Thanks thats what I was hoping to hear.Also I don't yet have a wireless router, is there anything special I should be looking for as far as it's capabilities are concerned?

One of the best ever audio additions I have made was the SQB II and the Touch is even cooler.

H9
    They definitely have the cool factor and convience factor appears to be through the roof.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2010
    Options
    There are a few updates out there for the Touch, make sure you have latest firmware H9. As for OP I have the touch and bought it based on reviews here. I love it and have had zero issues. I use mine indoors and even have it setup with the Ipad and provides music outdoors to my Atrium 65s. Overall very impressed with the unit.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2010
    Options
    My main rig is using the SQB Touch exclusively. 80% Pandora and Internet radio, 20% my library.Have not used a CD player in months. Wireless, no issues, excellent sound. I'm using an external DAC. The SQB Touch analog outs are good, but an external DAC is better IMO.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I have the Squeezebox Duet and use it wireless. It is solid. No issues streaming audio from my PC.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • heiney9
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks thats what I was hoping to hear.Also I don't yet have a wireless router, is there anything special I should be looking for as far as it's capabilities are concerned?They definitely have the cool factor and convience factor appears to be through the roof.

Just get the nicest most up-to-date wireless router you can afford, no need to go crazy. They make long range wireless routers now (N band, IIRC) so if they are going to be far away you might consider that.

Once you start using something like this you'll never go back to a conventional cdp as a main source. If you have an iPod Touch the iPeng application runs the SQB Touch; it's awesome!

I also agree with Ricardo, the internal dac's are decent, but not what I consider "audiophile" (better than previous SQB's though) so you may want to consider using an external dac.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • FTGV
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback,I guess I'll proceed with the wireless.To squeeze the most out of it I will be using an external DAC. As others mentioned I strongly suspect it will become my primary source.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If you have more than one wireless device, get a dual-band wireless router. I have the SQB Touch, Roku box, and a couple of pc's that can hit the wireless all at the same time. I moved up to a dual-band wireless router and it keeps everything humming along.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Oy Vey!

My head is spinning a little from one thread and then I was pointed to this thread and.... whew! I figure what is being discussed here is close enough to what I am doing.

My setup is simple, maybe a bit meager, but I don't believe permanent (beyond maybe a year or two). It's laptop->headphone out->receiver->monitor 70's.

Talk started about computer to DAC, of which there are many, that DAC's can make a difference then someone tossed in Esoteric Audio > computer+DAC, USB transfer is poor, but I don't think even used I could come up with funds for a cd player like that. But I also don't want to miss anything.

What am I missing? Some here have sworn off cd players. Some swear by them.

Others say the traditional cd mechanism is dated compared to what a computer (or the logitech box) + external DAC.

I guess it's about tradeoffs? not that I want to make any if avoidable. Thx...
  • heiney9
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Oy Vey!

My head is spinning a little from one thread and then I was pointed to this thread and.... whew! I figure what is being discussed here is close enough to what I am doing.

My setup is simple, maybe a bit meager, but I don't believe permanent (beyond maybe a year or two). It's laptop->headphone out->receiver->monitor 70's.

Talk started about computer to DAC, of which there are many, that DAC's can make a difference then someone tossed in Esoteric Audio > computer+DAC, USB transfer is poor, but I don't think even used I could come up with funds for a cd player like that. But I also don't want to miss anything.

What am I missing? Some here have sworn off cd players. Some swear by them.

Others say the traditional cd mechanism is dated compared to what a computer (or the logitech box) + external DAC.

I guess it's about tradeoffs? not that I want to make any if avoidable. Thx...

Not the same as using a wireless music server. Headphone jack to receiver is the worst way to do it. Not trying to be blunt as I understand as you learn and can spend money on this hobby things improve. But the headphone jack in a laptop or any computer is not anywhere close to using a something like a Squeezebox Touch as far as sound quality or control of your music library.

USB transfer *CAN* be poor but it can also be the best. Depends on how it's implemented.

I would choose a traditional cdp everytime over headphone out.

H9
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What your missing is that it's a matter of preference. While debatable and subjective on what gives good sound quality, a cdp or a computer, one is more convenient for some. Computers take more to get good SQ out of them, not that it can't be done. If your just downloading MP3's and running through a 200 buck receiver, your pretty limited on the SQ your going to hear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited December 2010
    Options
    From this thread and the other, ya I agree that would be my next move. It is all budget and then budget begets analysis paralysis. What am I getting for each dollar that I am putting out.

I can't go down one path to find out I have to do a 180. That is what has me twirled with the whole computational based audio be it a computer or a squeeze box if there is a hard ceiling that I can only get above by getting a really expensive cd player. Then I lose the ability to have all my music at a few button presses.

But for now I can say I am enjoying coming home, kicking on some Rush YYZ, or PF, or Zep, or ... and enjoy it.
  • heiney9
    edited December 2010
    Options
    From this thread and the other, ya I agree that would be my next move. It is all budget and then budget begets analysis paralysis. What am I getting for each dollar that I am putting out.

I can't go down one path to find out I have to do a 180. That is what has me twirled with the whole computational based audio be it a computer or a squeeze box if there is a hard ceiling that I can only get above by getting a really expensive cd player. Then I lose the ability to have all my music at a few button presses.

But for now I can say I am enjoying coming home, kicking on some Rush YYZ, or PF, or Zep, or ... and enjoy it.

I hear ya!!!!! Just do your research and save the money and whne you feel confident then pull the trigger. It's not a race and yes there is a lot of info to cover. None of us learned it over night.

H9
  • FTGV
    edited December 2010
    Options

If the budget is tight you might look at this capable little USB DAC.It uses the prefered Asynchronous method of transfering data.http://www.musicdirect.com/product/87045
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Once you start using something like this you'll never go back to a conventional cdp as a main source. If you have an iPod Touch the iPeng application runs the SQB Touch; it's awesome!

iPeng is great, and so is Squeeze Commander for Android phones. I've used them both. Love my Squeezeboxes!
  • FTGV
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I picked up Linksys wireless router, it's up and running so now I just need to find the best deal on the Touch.There only appears to be two online retailers in Canada both selling for nearly MSRP:frown: I also have most of the key parts in my parts bins needed to build a nice outboard regulated 12VDC supply since I understand the stock PS leaves alot to be desired.
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    iPeng is great...
    That looks like the cats **** as far as controlling it.I'm going to try and work out a deal with my daughter for her 8g iTouch after she moves to the 32g version.:smile:
  • heiney9
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I picked up Linksys wireless router, it's up and running so now I just need to find the best deal on the Touch.There only appears to be two online retailers in Canada both selling for nearly MSRP:frown: I also have most of the key parts in my parts bins needed to build a nice outboard regulated 12VDC supply since I understand the stock PS leaves alot to be desired.
    That looks like the cats **** as far as controlling it.I'm going to try and work out a deal with my daughter for her 8g iTouch after she moves to the 32g version.:smile:

It's hard to find them discounted. I fell into mine with a special 30% off coupon that was only active for a mere hour. Yes, I would build the PS it makes a difference. At first I was very skeptical since I was using the digital out, but to my ears the difference with an external linear PS was not subtle.

iPeng is the bomb especially if the SQB Touch sits across the room, you can't see the art work or song titles so well.

Good luck, there is a guy on Audiogon who sells new units for $260 but no experience with that seller.

H9
  • FTGV
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It's hard to find them discounted.
    Yeah I understand that demand is keeping the price up.
    Good luck, there is a guy on Audiogon who sells new units for $260 but no experience with that seller.
    Thanks I'll take a gander over there.
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Got mine hooked up. So convenient. What would be the optimal output level--50%, 75%, 100?
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• Ricardo
    edited January 2011
    Options
    100% and use your preamp as volume control.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • TG Meat
    TG Meat Posts: 159
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I use the iPeng to control my SQB Touch, but it seems to kill the iphone's battery. Is this common, if so any way to keep the iphone from getting drained?
    Anthem D2v
    NAD M50 Music Server
    B & K Reference 200.5
    Parasound A21
    B & W 804 (Mains)
    B & W HTM1 (Center)
    Polk Rti4 (Surrounds)
    PS3
    Seaton Submersive HP
    Pioneer PDP 6010FD Kuro
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Thaks Ricardo
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• Ricardo
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I use iPeng from my iPod Touch. I have not noticed any impact on battery consumption (by default the ipod's battery does not last more than 4-5 hours when in constant use, period).

I keep it plugged overnight and it works for me. It rarely runs out of batteries, but I'm not "touching" it constantly.

SOPA
  • Glowrdr
    Glowrdr Posts: 1,103
    edited January 2011
    Options
    jonicont wrote: »
    Got mine hooked up. So convenient. What would be the optimal output level--50%, 75%, 100?

In the SB server, you can actually disable the remote volume. I keep mine on, so that I can turn it down if needed without going to the radio, but yeah - generally you just leave it at 100%
    65" Sony X900 (XBR-65X900E)
    Pioneer Elite SC-37
    Polk Monitor 70's (2)
    Polk Monitor 40's (4)
    Polk Monitor CS2
    Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    Oppo BDP-93
    Squeezebox Duet
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Dish Network "The Hoppa"
  • heiney9
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Glowrdr wrote: »
    In the SB server, you can actually disable the remote volume. I keep mine on, so that I can turn it down if needed without going to the radio, but yeah - generally you just leave it at 100%

The Touch doesn't have that feature anymore (like the SQB Classic, 2 and 3). But I have read that at 100% volume it effectively takes the vol control out of the circuit.

H9
  • gdpeck
    gdpeck Posts: 840
    edited January 2011
    Options
    TG Meat wrote: »
    I use the iPeng to control my SQB Touch, but it seems to kill the iphone's battery. Is this common, if so any way to keep the iphone from getting drained?

Take a look at two iPeng settings. "Prevent Sleep Mode" and "Preserve Connection". I believe these are designed to give you quicker access to your library, but at the cost of battery life. I disabled both on my iPod Touch, and it did seem to help with battery life.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited January 2011
    Options
    What gdpeck said - preserving the connection is what drains the battery. I ended up keeping a iphone dock on the end table next to my couch whenever I'm using my SB Touch, so when I'm listening to music the phone doesn't get drained.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Hey Heiney - so the welbourne labs PSU is worth it right? That's up next on my list (after I send my tax check this week lol).
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • heiney9
    edited January 2011
    Options
    PrazVT wrote: »
    Hey Heiney - so the welbourne labs PSU is worth it right? That's up next on my list (after I send my tax check this week lol).

Yes, absolutely! There may be other alternatives out there now, not sure. Welbourne has lackluster customer service communication and it takes longer than I think it should to get the unit. To be fair, I believe they are build to order so the process is slow. Don't expect "Amazon or Newegg" type communication and shipping :tongue:

However, the product is excellent and it's plug-n-play. I do recommend them 100% but just caution about slow service and communication.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Our local Polkie Audio group all have the Touch w/Welboure Labs supply and I think we are all very happy.

dkg999, Ricardo, Blakeh, ScompRacer, myself. ScompRacer built the kit option himself.

H9