First-time Polk buyer

ChuckW
ChuckW Posts: 8
edited November 2010 in Speakers
Okay, I jumped in with both feet, now I'm curious about what others think.

Over the past few years once a year I've improved my home theatre. Two years ago was a 55" HDTV, then last summer a Pioneer Elite SC-07, and now I've taken advantage of Newegg's sale on Polk gear and picked up a set of Polk speakers to make a full 7.1 system:
(2) Monitor 70s
(2) Monitor 40s
(2) Monitor 30s
(1) CS2
(1) PSW505

...I'm still droolling at the idea of a second PSW505, but I figure I can always watch for another sale that's so good I can't pass it up.

I was shooting for bang-for-the-buck, or maybe that should be boom-for-the-buck. This will be such a step of from my mish-mash of cheap in-wall speakers, 20-yr old sony monsters with rotting foam, and failing sony subwoofer, that I'll probably be thrilled to death.

Providing the UPS guy doesn't get a hernia trying to get all that on my porch, Christmas will come on thursday at my house. :smile:

Thoughts? Would you have done something differently?
Post edited by ChuckW on

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited November 2010
    ChuckW wrote: »
    Thoughts?

I think you're going to be very happy:tongue::biggrin:

Congrats on the nice setup. And welcome to CP!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited November 2010
    Welcome to Club Polk ChuckW :smile:

Congratulation on your speakers upgrade :cool:

You definitely hit to get the best bang for your buck! All of the products you chose a great products and while they are now part of the vintage products on the Polk site it allows you to get great pricing on them because of that.

As far as getting a second 505, this depens on the size of your room and your personal thurst for the amount of bass. Also keep in mind that your 70s are also capable of decent bass. The sub (505) is a good performer when it comes to music (and so are the 70s) however this sub is not the best performer for HT but with proper placement and calibration, it should be decent. In all cases, if you are thinking of a second one, I wouldn't wait too long as IMHO, this sub might be harder to get in the near future.

I am not too familiar with your receiver as if it good power to maximise the potential of your new speakers so I'll let others comment on that one...

If you can talk a bit about what you are trying to achieve (% music, % HT) and in what size and type of room. Do you have any room threathment at this point?

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2010
    Welcome to Club Polk.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited November 2010
    What a great POLK Audio system
    Dual Subwoofers ... thats bottom end for sure

Welcome to Club Polk !!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited November 2010
    welcome aboard, thats a nice balanced system you got there. will serve you very well for a long time. Of course that is if the upgrade bug doesnt bite.....and it will :D

that said, enjoying what you have will be really easy.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ChuckW
    ChuckW Posts: 8
    edited November 2010
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    I am not too familiar with your receiver as if it good power to maximize the potential of your new speakers so I'll let others comment on that one...

Pioneer's specs on the SC-07: 140W x 7 (20Hz - 20kHz, .09% THD@ 8ohms, All Channels Driven)

And it's a Class D amp, what Pioneer calls "Direct Energy HD". I was just sold on the power efficiency of the design, since I'm all about cool tech. :rolleyes:

So I think the receiver should have no problem driving the speakers.
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    If you can talk a bit about what you are trying to achieve (% music, % HT) and in what size and type of room. Do you have any room treatment at this point?

I'm going to say about 80% HT, and 20% music. Somehow as I've gotten older and portable music players have gotten better, I find I just "sit" and listen to music a lot less.

No room treatments - unfortunately all this is in the family room, which has a wall of glass onto the back yard. I suspect this is the first thing that I'll have to do something about.
  • raffi
    raffi Posts: 114
    edited November 2010
    Nice setup, I agree that your receiver should drive the set just fine...welcome to CP.
    2 channel rig: MMF 2.2 turntable, Adcom GFP-715, Adcom GFA-555, Adcom ACE-515, Carver M-1.0t, Denon 5900 CD/SACD, SDA-SRS 2.3s (Zardoss modded), AQ Diamondback & King Cobra IC's and AQ Type 4 speaker cables

HT rig: Panny 50" G20 plasma, Directv DVR, Insignia BRD/DVD/SACD/DVD-A, Denon AVR-890, Fronts: Polk Monitor 70's, Rears: Deftech Mythos Gems, Center: Polk CS1, Sub: Polk PSW-505