SDA SRS 2's

Options
geoff727
geoff727 Posts: 546
edited November 2010 in Vintage Speakers
Hi folks,

I brought these beauties home a coulpe days ago....and I thought I'd never own another pair of SDA's. Silly me.

As always, I'm planning a full cosmetic and performance refurb, crossover upgrades, etc. And they'll be in caring hands for the rest of their days (I've learned my lesson about selling off all my SDA's). But, I need some help.

These are 1986 models with all MW6509's. However, I found one MW6503 and one MW6502. So, I am in need of at least 2 MW6509's. Preferably more (for spares). If anyone has some they are willing to sell (even frozen ones), please let me know.

Thanks all.
Geoff
Polk SDA SRS 2
Polk RTA 15tl
Polk Monitor 7C
Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
Post edited by geoff727 on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2010
    Options
    man,,those look really clean--congrats
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,016
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Those look great!!!! I'm shocked they have a mix of drivers..
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited November 2010
    Options
    geoff727 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I brought these beauties home a coulpe days ago....and I thought I'd never own another pair of SDA's. Silly me.

As always, I'm planning a full cosmetic and performance refurb, crossover upgrades, etc. And they'll be in caring hands for the rest of their days (I've learned my lesson about selling off all my SDA's). But, I need some help.

These are 1986 models with all MW6509's. However, I found one MW6503 and one MW6502. So, I am in need of at least 2 MW6509's. Preferably more (for spares). If anyone has some they are willing to sell (even frozen ones), please let me know.

Thanks all.
    Geoff

Nice Score! You might try contacting Sal (Lasareath). I know he had a bunch of original 1986 or 1987's a while ago that he wanted to sell. Hopefully he still has a few to part with.

I have the same 1986 SDA SRS II's with just 1 spare driver so I can't be any help right now. I'll keep on the lookout for you. I will offer that I had 4 of the new Polk replacements installed for about 200 hours before I found old stock (back in 2008) and I preferred the bass response of the old stock (I'm not sure if more break in would have helped or not). Good Luck!
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Nice speakers! Just curious, but what SDAs did you have prior to these? I've had a pair for about a year now, did the crossover upgrade and TL mod (thanks to inspiredsports!) and they have just now settled in to a really nice sounding set of speakers.

The SRS2 has probably the widest stage of ANY SDA out there. It can take some getting used to. The only downfall, if you want to call it that, is on certain recordings there is a bit less depth than what you may be used to. Other than that, they are very solid performers.

stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• geoff727
    geoff727 Posts: 546
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am thrilled to have found them. They are in generally good shape for 1986's. The seller told me that a hi-fi shop here in Seattle replaced a couple drivers, so I knew what was coming- a hodgepodge of MW65xx's. And, I was right. I will send Sal a PM and see if he has anything.

Stubby, to answer your question, I have had SDA-1C's (now Fongolio's), SDA-2B's (now WastelandWand'r's), and SRS 2.3tl's (also WastelandWand'r's), and a slew of the Monitor series. My current 'toys' are Polk Monitor 7C's (from kcoc321), Monitor 10 Ser.2's, RTA 15tl's these SRS 2's, and Infinity RS-II's, RS-IIIa's, and RS2.5's. And modified Magnepan 1.6QR's currently on the system. A lot of the other speakers are taken apart and gradually getting some TLC. Too much for any sane person! (But it's fun)
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I bought a set of 1B's and have some spare 6509's if you need them. I'll PM you.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com