Physics that led to damage 6510

Options
sirogenous
sirogenous Posts: 57
edited July 2001 in Car Audio & Electronics
I had posted this in the tech forum and realized it should have been posted here. So I will go over my question again with some changes.
I have installed in the doors of my 93 Nissan truck, the mid/woofers from the 3065 components. Recently, I damaged one of them. I am not sure if the damage is from over-excursion or from burning the voice coil. The speaker reproduces the original signal. However it sounds muffled or mudded, for lack of a better way to describe it. I am powering the 3065 using Sony's 1002HX amplifier which is rated at 100 w x 2 @4ohms (20hz-20Khz) and @ 4 ohms 230 w x 2 max. I realize that this exceeds what the 3065 are rated to handle. And felt I had lowered the amps sensitivity enough to prevent it from damaging the speakers. I have been listening to them at this setting for almost a year without problem. Although, I have always believed I could hear when and if the speakers were being overpowered slightly. And this was always most noticeable when using the system with the truck windows down. And this also happens to be when I damaged one of the mid/woofers. I have played the cd many many times before at even higher volume levels with the windows rolled up and they handled the power just fine. So the question I want to ask is: Can a cars interior have an effect on controlling speaker excursion. And if so, is this the reason I think I hear a difference in speaker damping when the windows are up compared to when the windows are down
Post edited by sirogenous on