more on NOSFERATU

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited November 2001 in Music & Movies
I finally got this DVD, the red-tinted-cover-version that has the "Now & Then" photo essay feature (this is the version to get if you're thinking about it).

This weekend I watched it, even tho Halloween has passed and it really isn't a "scary movie" kinda time.

Another feature on this DVD is a feature-length commentary in the form of an audio essay by a scholar of German film, and I have to say that this is one of the most interesting and enlightening commentary tracks I've ever heard. I learned tons of stuff from it, and it made the film itself (which can be kind of confusing and strange for modern audiences) even more interesting and unique.

If you are at all a fan of a] German expressionist film (like "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari," "Metropolis," "M," etc.), b] horror films or just plain c] film history, I highly recommend you seek out this disc and this fascinating commentary track.

The disc also has two more audio options, a new 5.0 orchestrated score, and a very eerie, deep and wide stereo church organ score that is close to what was probably played in the 20s when the film was shown. Very cool!

Forget "Shadow of The Vampire." It's lame. See the real thing. It's better.

Micah!
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney