Parasound HCA-3500 Upgrades

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2011
    dcmartinpc wrote: »
    I don't plan on calling him anytime soon :) , but with Big Sky talking to him, I am hoping I got as close as I could to a BBQ using the existing hardware platform. From what I know of the BBQ, they did some MAJOR changes to the chassis and internals. I just wanted as close as I could get with what I had...

Don

Yep, major but so is yours in some respect. My pics are in the showcase although it's better to see in person.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcmartinpc
    dcmartinpc Posts: 844
    edited August 2011
    Great pics, DC.

I run a 2200ii. What do you think would sound better, an upgraded 2200ii or a stock 3500?

Also, what's up with your unbalanced inputs being labeled balanced? Did they do that on all the 3500's???:eek::tongue:

Holy crap! I never noticed that! It is always so close to the floor, I don't see it. That is actually a new rear panel sourced from Parasound. The original was damaged during shipment from the person I purchased it from. Now I need to go check out the original!!!

That is a tough call on the upgraded 2200II versus stock 3500... But I would put my money on the upgraded 2200II. The 3500 was a little harsh on the high end stock, the 2200II does not exhibit that behavior, and I can only imagine would get better with upgrades.

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2011
    The HCA-3500 is a better amplifier than the HCA-2500 MkII. Modified? Hmmm...that would depend on what was done but I bet it takes away some of the vague high end. The high end on both amps is fine, just not very defined or crisp. Most of the signature of any Parasound amplifier is in the bottom end and midrange. I've never heard a harsh Parsound amp.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Yep, major but so is yours in some respect. My pics are in the showcase although it's better to see in person.

So... how do I pry it out of your hands??? Where are you located again???? :biggrin: If you EVER decide to get rid of yours, which I doubt you ever will, I would want to be first in line!!!!

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

• dorokusai
    edited August 2011
    So... how do I pry it out of your hands??? Where are you located again???? :biggrin: If you EVER decide to get rid of yours, which I doubt you ever will, I would want to be first in line!!!!

Don

Ha...it's been claimed years ago by another Polkie. When I'm gone it's in my will he gets it.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    The HCA-3500 is a better amplifier than the HCA-2500 MkII. Modified? Hmmm...that would depend on what was done but I bet it takes away some of the vague high end.

I wasn't saying the HCA-3500 was not better in it's stock form :) But a upgraded 2200II would be sweet. Overall, the stock 3500, IMHO, is definitely better than the 2200II. Both amps were something special, but there is a reason I invested $$ in upgrading my 3500 first over my 2200II.

For the price you can find a 2200II if you watch, you could be into it, purchase price + upgrade for less than a HCA-3500...

Don

• dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    Ha...it's been claimed years ago by another Polkie. When I'm gone it's in my will he gets it.

Well I figured, but it never hurts to ask :smile: It is definitely something very special and hand built by legends. Absolutely irreplaceable.

Don

• dorokusai
    edited August 2011
    I concur DC as the MkII was the John Curl version that made use of what was best in it, and ditched what didn't work. All MkII Parasound are John Curl designs.

Hot rodding a HCA-2200 is a great idea since they can be found on the used market very nicely. The MkII is already a John Curl design so only minor tweaking is neccesary at best. I'd say that a modified HCA-2200 MkII would sound better than a stock HCA-3500. It's balls will still be small and that can't be changed.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    The HCA-3500 is a better amplifier than the HCA-2500 MkII. Modified? Hmmm...that would depend on what was done but I bet it takes away some of the vague high end. The high end on both amps is fine, just not very defined or crisp. Most of the signature of any Parasound amplifier is in the bottom end and midrange. I've never heard a harsh Parsound amp.

Maybe it was mine, it is entirely possible. It wasn't ear bleeding, but just a little rough. And it was the only Parasound I have ever heard that did it.

Don

• dorokusai
    edited August 2011
    Maybe it was mine, it is entirely possible. It wasn't ear bleeding, but just a little rough. And it was the only Parasound I have ever heard that did it.

Don

Possibly, but we all hear differently anyways. Who knows and it might have been a combination of factors.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    Possibly, but we all hear differently anyways. Who knows and it might have been a combination of factors.

This is also the only 3500 I have ever heard, but I will tell you this, I love everything about it now, and that is all that matters. I imagine Parasound will always have a place in my rigs.

Don

• dorokusai
    edited August 2011
    As it should. I helped a buddy find a NIB HCA-3500 of which he'll never part with after hearing it. He's since went on to intense Cary V12 tube amps but still has the 3500.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    Absolutely and I doubt he cares if you call him....really? lol.

Honestly, he was really great to work with. He still has a passion for these designs and getting them up to his original standards. I could not believe he took the time to spend with Big Sky Audio to make sure I got the best end product possible. It blew me away!

I am thinking abut sending off my Adcom GFP-750 to have it upgraded too!

Don

• dorokusai
    edited August 2011
    My experience with him at CES and otherwise is....ok. He's very nice when you start talking about his gear but gave me a hard time(2005) about my BBQ when I first met him, since he didn't believe that I owned one of Bob's. That was easy to shut down and he noticeably changed his demeanor. I think he's an audio genius but his personality could use some work but then again, I've heard that about me....just not the genius part.

He's also active on Audio Asylum so it's not rare to get in touch with him. That place fits him well.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    My experience with him at CES and otherwise is....ok. He's very nice when you start talking about his gear but gave me a hard time(2005) about my BBQ when I first met him, since he didn't believe that I owned one of Bob's. That was easy to shut down and he noticeably changed his demeanor. I think he's an audio genius but his personality could use some work but then again, I've heard that about me....just not the genius part.

Honestly, I only spoke with him very briefly to put him in contact with Big Sky, that's about it. That is a little weird he didn't believe you had one of Bob C's amps! Why would you lie about that? I really don't plan on having a beer with the guy :). I am just glad he took a few minutes to provide his input on my "upgrade"

I would have a beer with you Mark! Don't you feel special now :D

Now... If I could get in touch with Nelson Pass on the GFP-750!!!!

Don

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2011
    Good to see you were happy with the mods they did. I've been talking with them as well and been thinking of sending in my Adcom 750 and the 5802 as well as the Parasound HCA2200 I have sometime down the road. The adcom would go first and for 300 doesn't seem to bad of a deal.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    Good to see you were happy with the mods they did. I've been talking with them as well and been thinking of sending in my Adcom 750 and the 5802 as well as the Parasound HCA2200 I have sometime down the road. The adcom would go first and for 300 doesn't seem to bad of a deal.

Exactly why my GFP-750 is leaving my humble abode tomorrow and heading over to Big Sky Audio! He is going to put a rush on it for me so it will be back to me in time for the LSIM 703 demo! Rick is a great guy to deal with. He has quite a back log right now and he is only one guy, but I have only ever heard good things about him and my experience was top notch. He seemed pretty excited about a decent size group of folks getting their ears on his handiwork.... Amp and Pre...

He does a LOT of upgrades to the 750. Lots of cap and resistor replacements... I am hoping it is THE comprehensive upgrade for this pre to take it to the next level and help it outperform units costing many times more. The 750 is already kind of a sleeper, so I am interested to see his take on it!

Is your 2200 a MkII or 1st Gen?

Don

• spl779
    spl779 Posts: 15
    edited September 2011
    What was the final cost in terms of the upgrades?
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2011
    Honestly, I only spoke with him very briefly to put him in contact with Big Sky, that's about it. That is a little weird he didn't believe you had one of Bob C's amps! Why would you lie about that? I really don't plan on having a beer with the guy :). I am just glad he took a few minutes to provide his input on my "upgrade"

I would have a beer with you Mark! Don't you feel special now :D

Don

Probably because it was a 10k amp and I was like in my 30's when we met....coupled with his arrogance.

The MkII is a John Curl design and upgrading it would be cheaper than trying to do a MkI the same way. There's more things to replace, get rid of and it would be more expensive in the end. I'd wouldn't buy anything MkI unless it was a steal.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    The MkII is a John Curl design and upgrading it would be cheaper than trying to do a MkI the same way. There's more things to replace, get rid of and it would be more expensive in the end. I'd wouldn't buy anything MkI unless it was a steal.

That is exactly why I was asking cstmar01... If it is a MkI, sell it, buy a MkII, and get it upgraded, if even. I wouldn't bother upgrading a MkI if it were me. Honestly, I don't even think Rick at Big Sky does the MkI, and he would tell you the same thing regarding the two 2200s. The MkII is the one to get.

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    spl779 wrote: »
    What was the final cost in terms of the upgrades?

I will have to look it up again... I had a lot of extras done outside of the standard upgrade he had at the time. Looks like he has added a lot the options he developed during my upgrade with John Curl to his basic mod and then added 2 additional upgrades. Based on his current pricing, what I had done looks like it would cost $883.

I have the base upgrade plus Rubycon Black Gate capacitors and REL AudioCap RT polystyrene capacitors for driver/output stage and power supply bypassing.

It is worth it IMHO! You can read my many rants and raves in this thread about just how wonderful I think it is!

Don

• jwilkinson7777
    jwilkinson7777 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    dcmartinpc - I just sent in my 2205A to be upgraded to Big Sky. I super pumped about getting it back. Reading this thread just makes me want it back that much more. I'm still trying to decide on Blackgates, but the price for this 5 channel is $400 bucks more. Do you think its worth it to spring for them, or keep the nichicons? I'm thinking of just doing the basics and I bet I'll be happy with that. I was considering ditching the entire amp and starting over until I found Big Sky. I'm hoping I'll be as happy with mine as you are with yours. I noticed you have a 2205A as well, have you had it upgraded?
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2011
    Both caps are fine and both brands are used in the CTC BBQ.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited September 2011

Don

This subject has been covered extensively over at DIYAUDIO.com. With Papa even chiming in a bit. Lots of discussion about how it's essentially an Aleph P with a couple cost cutting area's. There is even a guy who did a step by step mod with all new caps, etc.

It's really great pre-amp as is an with a few tweaks (mostly replacing the cheap caps) it can really, really shine. Not quite an Aleph P, but it can get close. I don't use mine much as a pre-amp, just an expensive pass through for my tube pre-amp. :biggrin:

It's an all discrete design and it uses switching relays. You don't often find that kind attention at this price point. Even the balance circuit is unique and helps keep the signal pure vs. a typical balance pot.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited September 2011
    Is the 2205a an mkII design?
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    dcmartinpc - I just sent in my 2205A to be upgraded to Big Sky. I super pumped about getting it back. Reading this thread just makes me want it back that much more. I'm still trying to decide on Blackgates, but the price for this 5 channel is $400 bucks more. Do you think its worth it to spring for them, or keep the nichicons? I'm thinking of just doing the basics and I bet I'll be happy with that. I was considering ditching the entire amp and starting over until I found Big Sky. I'm hoping I'll be as happy with mine as you are with yours. I noticed you have a 2205A as well, have you had it upgraded?

I think the nichicon muse will be just fine. A very good capacitor. In my 3500 I wanted to pull out all the stops. I am not sure on the cost of this, but you might want to ask about the REL AudioCap RT polystyrene capacitors for driver/output stage and power supply bypassing. I think this is more worthwhile upgrade than the blackgates. I just did those to push it to it's limits for 2-Channel. My amp still has the nichicon caps in it too, blackgates are just used in a few key areas.

I have not had my 2205a upgraded yet, but it will be upgraded along with my 2200II. I don't think I will be putting Blackgates in either of them. They are in my home theater and I just don't see the justification there. I will probably do the REL audiocaps though.

Don

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Lietuvis91 wrote: »
    Is the 2205a an mkII design?

Yes. It was designed by John Curl.

Don

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    heiney9 wrote: »
    This subject has been covered extensively over at DIYAUDIO.com. With Papa even chiming in a bit. Lots of discussion about how it's essentially an Aleph P with a couple cost cutting area's. There is even a guy who did a step by step mod with all new caps, etc.

It's really great pre-amp as is an with a few tweaks (mostly replacing the cheap caps) it can really, really shine. Not quite an Aleph P, but it can get close. I don't use mine much as a pre-amp, just an expensive pass through for my tube pre-amp. :biggrin:

It's an all discrete design and it uses switching relays. You don't often find that kind attention at this price point. Even the balance circuit is unique and helps keep the signal pure vs. a typical balance pot.

H9

I actually read through all the stuff over at diyaudio recently. It looked doable, but I decided to send my GFP-750 off to Big Sky for their upgrades. Pretty comprehensive as far as I could tell and it should be top notch when I get it back.

I have been VERY tempted by the Dared SL-2000a!!! I think next bonus it might have to make an appearance in my system. We shall see....

Don

• Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited September 2011
    Yes. It was designed by John Curl.

Don

Cool beans! I thought it was :biggrin:
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • praxiscor1
    praxiscor1 Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Finally got some pics of my HCA-3500! Went through some SERIOUS mods. About $1,200 in parts and over 80 hours of soldering! It literally took 5 revisions, swapping out parts, values, etc to try and solve the ground hum and top end harshness. Keep in mind this is running my Wilson Watt Puppy 7s, which are infamous for being very analytical and and bright on the top end. This amp has never sounded so neutral and revealing. The mods added another layer of dimension to the imaging, heightened dampness and the control over the bass is incredible, super fast and tight. The high's are sweet and clean, no more hurting my ears!

The primary changes involved: altered the balanced input to be straight pass through (for some reason Parasound changed the balanced input path making it single sided, weird). Replaced multiple smaller in-line caps with single larger higher quality Holco, PolyStyrene RelCap and/or DynaCaps (depending on values). Swapped out the big crappy Bridge Rectifier with (4) FREDs. Then used the old Rectifier in the Power Supply to solve the ground hum/hiss by mating it with a resistor and cap (as seen in all Bryston amps). We had a really difficult time trying to fit everything, the higher quality caps are physically larger than the stock ones. We tried to keep it pretty, but there is only so much you can do!

20130224_195208.jpg
    20130224_195557.jpg
    20130224_195542.jpg
    20130224_195459.jpg
    20130224_195452.jpg
    20130224_195440.jpg
    20130224_195424.jpg
    20130224_195359.jpg
    20130224_195349.jpg
    20130224_195346.jpg
    20130224_195339.jpg
    20130224_195335.jpg