Where to Put Surrounds With Stadium Seating?

mufsoman
mufsoman Posts: 631
edited January 2011 in Speakers
Well, as per my last post, I was very happy with my set up after finally finding the right surround speakers. However that didn't last too long. A couple of weekends ago I built a platform to put the couch on for stadium seating (attached pics) vs. the "L" configuration with the love seat (see my pics in the System Showcase). The platform has worked out great for having everyone facing the screen. Unfortunately, it has totally changed the acoustics (not to mention the need for a bigger screen size). So with stadium seating, where should the surrounds be placed in a 5.1 set up? Behind the rear seating or in between the two seating positions? If its behind the rear seating, then there's not much surround sound heard in the front seats. If in between the two seating positions, then I'm thinking 7.1 may be the way to go and install rear speakers behind the rear seats for even sound in all seating positions. Any suggestions?
Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
Front: Rti12's
Center: Csi A6
Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
APC H15
Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
The rest is TBD.
Post edited by mufsoman on

Comments

• messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited October 2010
    With that much real estate to cover I'd definitely go 7.1.

In that 1st pic it looks like the back seating might flip over :eek::p
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • mufsoman
    edited October 2010
    The couch is very stable. The frame is completely on the platform and will not fall off.

I've been looking at websites and still haven't found a good answer yet. I know there's plenty of you with stadium seating. Let me know where you have your speakers vs. multiple rows of seating. Thanks
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited October 2010
    If you plan on sitting in the front row then have them in the middle then put your back two on the back wall for 7.1

Friends dont appreciate a properly placed 7.1 config like you do and anything will sound good to them especially if they come to your house to watch a movie when all they are used to is the tv speakers

You should get a lil projector down there to do your sound system justice
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited October 2010
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ESavinon
    edited October 2010

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ESavinon
    edited October 2010

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    edited October 2010

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    edited October 2010

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited October 2010
    I'd do a 7.1 setup. I personally like having my surrounds behind me in a 5.1 setup versus on the sides. It sounds much better to me.

A projector would bring your theater room to life.

What also might work is if you find a pair of bi-pole/di-pole speakers and put them inbetween the front and rear seats. One angle of the speakers would be facing the front row and the other side of the speakers would be facing the rear seats.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2010
    What I usually do with stadium seating is add surrounds to each row and use a external amp. It's sounds very full . Another thing you can do if you don't want to spend money on more speakers and amps is use the back row as your 90 degrees meaning directly to the side of your ears if you where sitting in that row. This will be perfect for that row and very good for the front row.
    If you go multi surround speakers , measure 72 inches to the tweeter for the first row and repeat for the second row plus the height of the raiser.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited October 2010
    Here are some pic's of a theater I did last year with dual surrounds.

This theater has dual in wall subs , 2 pairs of surrounds for each row and Surround back. All speakers are Paradigm and powered by Lexicon.
    IMG_2293-1.jpg

IMG_2292-1.jpg

IMG_2291-1.jpg

IMG_2290-1.jpg

IMG_2289-1.jpg

IMG_2288-1.jpg
    Dan
  • mufsoman
    edited October 2010
    Mantis,

I appreciate the suggestions and sharing the photos. So are the side surrounds for each row the same channel, just split for two pairs? Doesn't that cause sound cancellation and other issues? Looks like in the photo of the back wall that even though you have two sets of side speakers, there is still back surrounds also? Is that correct?

Unfortunately I have no good wall space to hang speakers. I've already tried Fxi3 and Fxi A6 surrounds, but due to head space, lack of wall space and position issues I could not use them in my set up. I found the Mirage OMD5's to work great since the omnipolar design throws the sound out in all directions and they're compact, yet sound very good. I don't have any external amps yet (next years upgrade plan), so I'm driving all with the SC07. I'm thinking of adding (perhaps) a pair of Polk OWM5 on the ceiling behind the rear seating position and placing the Mirages appropriately between the forward and rear seating(?). After seeing your photos, may I need to consider a second pair of Mirages as part of the amp upgrade?

And as for all the front projector suggestions.....yes that would be nice, but I'm limited to 92" screen, which is OK, but for a mutlipurpose room like I have, I think a flat panel will provide a better picture. Potentially targeting an 65" Panasonic VT25. Thanks
    APC H15
    The rest is TBD.
  • mantis
    edited October 2010
    mufsoman wrote: »
    Mantis,

I appreciate the suggestions and sharing the photos. So are the side surrounds for each row the same channel, just split for two pairs? Doesn't that cause sound cancellation and other issues? Looks like in the photo of the back wall that even though you have two sets of side speakers, there is still back surrounds also? Is that correct?

Unfortunately I have no good wall space to hang speakers. I've already tried Fxi3 and Fxi A6 surrounds, but due to head space, lack of wall space and position issues I could not use them in my set up. I found the Mirage OMD5's to work great since the omnipolar design throws the sound out in all directions and they're compact, yet sound very good. I don't have any external amps yet (next years upgrade plan), so I'm driving all with the SC07. I'm thinking of adding (perhaps) a pair of Polk OWM5 on the ceiling behind the rear seating position and placing the Mirages appropriately between the forward and rear seating(?). After seeing your photos, may I need to consider a second pair of Mirages as part of the amp upgrade?

And as for all the front projector suggestions.....yes that would be nice, but I'm limited to 92" screen, which is OK, but for a mutlipurpose room like I have, I think a flat panel will provide a better picture. Potentially targeting an 65" Panasonic VT25. Thanks

I have been Installed more then one pair of surround speakers with multi rows in theater for over a decade. Never once did we have any problems.
    Yes there are surround back speakers in the ceiling on either side of the projector location. If you understand how they work , they are another channel of the surround system.
    Back tot he surround speakers. Yes we use external amps that closely match or an exact match to whatever powers the rest of the speakers. When you are in larger rooms , this is the ideal setup.

Using in ceiling speakers are always a great way to get perfect(damn close) position of your surround channels and not lose quality. In wall and in ceiling speakers are as good or better then most other out of the wall speakers. Using back cans really make a difference. In your system I suggest you place one pair of in ceiling speakers in line of the last row seating off to the sides. As I suggest on the wall , this will work for both rows. This is much easier then tuning a pair for each row.

Depending on seating distance from the front wall , a plasma could work but can get lost in larger rooms. Mitsubishi makes the last of the table top models and up in the 80 inch range which might be the best setup for your room. A 65 inch plasma is pretty good especially a V series but if you sit far away you lost the size quickly.

To get proper screen size you can use the online calculators to help you get an idea of what size you should have. Most screen companies have them so check them out from Stewart , Da lite and Draper .
    Dan
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2010
    See my showcase for ideas. With theater seating like this you should place surrounds at the side in a 5.1. Place them at the sides and rear in a 7.1. Yes your room does scream for a projector and screen. Also remember to calibrate from average seating, so I usually calibrate dead center of both seating levels. If you cal from the front then the rears may overpower the rear seating arrangement and vice versa for the fronts.

PROJECTOR/SCREEN bro. Go big in there. If your on a budget check out Elite screens (very good), with a Panasonic 4000U or Epson 8500. Family will love you for it. For your lighting, wireless dimmer check out Home Depot Lutron Maestro, $30 wireless dimmer that works with a Harmony remote no problems.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2010
    Nice post Mantis but that screen is too small for that room. Nice choice with the Pio ( JVC rebadged) projector also.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • mufsoman
    edited January 2011
    So if I have a separate amp and want to power dual sets of surrounds, one set for each row, any reason why I can't have one set run off the separate amp through the pre outs and still have the other set powered by the SC07 through the standard speaker outs?
    APC H15
    The rest is TBD.
  • mantis
    edited January 2011
    Nope that will work fine. If you need help balancing them , just say the word and I will write you up step by step instructions on how to get them properly calibrated to sound their best.
    I have done many theaters with multi side wall mounted per row seating surround speakers with fantastic results.

Yes and before "ANYONE" chimes in , I sit and listen to a few clips per row to see if my calibration effects other rows listening experience.
    Dan
  • mufsoman
    edited January 2011
    I was hoping you would respond to this Mantis. Thanks for your input and I will probably take you up on the offer for multi-row calibration when I land an amp.
    APC H15
    The rest is TBD.