Fixing Ht sub probs

Options
jeffeb3
jeffeb3 Posts: 106
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
OK. I have a customer that walks into cc (I had no idea someone like this knows we exist). He tells mea about his sytem:

adcom preamp prologic
adcom dolby digital decoder
adcom 5 ch amp
nht speaks (sorry polk)
paradygm sub.

he complains of a weak sub output.
I offer to come out and look and I cannot find a problem. It gets a signal but it's very weak. I don't want to just lift the volume on the sub because it will add distortion. The adcom **** wont let me adjust the sub channel individually. It only just sends out an lfe output with no adjustments. If you have any ideas please help.
Post edited by jeffeb3 on

Comments

• eric
    eric Posts: 11
    edited July 2001
    Options
    First off, Adcom is decent equipment. Is the LFE information getting to the sub? Not quite sure what you mean about the weak signal thing. Raising the sub volume level will not necessarily add audible distortion if the level is too low to begin with. Need more specific info to really be of assistance
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Actually, the problem was much more simple. I checked the lfe and It was on the correct setting. The problem was actually only the sub frequency response (set to ~45). The real loss of output was his NHT speaks used to be bi-wired and when he sold the second amp (to buy the sub) he only had the top brackets wired. The bottom ones weren't wired and therefore his bass drivers weren't going. So you see, there was a huge gap between the 45 hz sub and the 1khz tweeter Huge gap but still a surprisingly good sound.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    This guy had Adcom equip, and bi-wired his NHT's, but then pulled a stupid mistake like this?

Perhaps someone else set it up for him.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    Options
    As a matter of fact, his friend hooked it up. And I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they were both yuppie stoners. He offered me mary jane and alcohol several times but alas, I have my vice-z under control. no stupid drugs for me. **hitting head with fist frustratingly**
  • dbartol
    dbartol Posts: 66
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Did he offer cash?

scorpio
  • mjmcg
    mjmcg Posts: 102
    edited July 2001
    Options
    The world could use a few more winners like him....what an idiot.