if money was no object...

Options
gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I've got a fun question for everyone this morning.

If you could design a MUSIC system where money was not a consideration, what would it consist of?

Lets all list what components we would like to have for the ultimate music system, not home theater. If your ultimate music system would be a two channel stereo system, go for it. Or, if your system would be a multi-channel SACD or DVD-A set-up, go nuts.

Lets hear about all aspects of the dream system. Amps, processors, speakers, cables, speaker cables & connections.....

For those very ambitious Club Polk members, lets hear about the perfect room set-up for your dream system. Acoustic treatments, room dimensions, furniture type & locations......

Have fun dreaming up your system.

Late,
Greg
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Show me yours and I'll show you mine.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Speakers: Dynaudio Evidence Temptation $85,000

Amps: Halcro DM58 $25,000/pair - Stereophiles "Best amplifier EVER"

Preamp: something that matches well with my Halcro

CD: the dCS Verdi, Elgar, Delius, Purcell combo at about $40,000

Sub: Wilson Audio XS $25,000?

I'd probably get into vinyl if money was no object, but don't know enough about the subject to pick something now...

On a realistic budget, I'd almost rather have:

Speakers: Dynaudio Special 25 or 1.3SE average $3000 (used)
    Pre/amp: something from Krell or Levinson ($3000 used)
    CDP: Arcam FMJ CD33 around $2500
    Sub: SVS B4 or REL Stadium $3500
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • gmorris
    edited July 2003
    Options
    tryrrthg,

that is awesome! thanks for participating. i checked out those componets on the internet. that is some crazy stuff.

gidrah,

my dream system is a Sony boom-box sitting in an aluminum garbage can in the center of an aluminum shed in my back yard.... just kidding. i don't really know what i would pick because i've only been learning about the high end audio/home theater hobby for about 3 months now. i've begun assembling my system by starting out with a pair of Polk Audio R30's. humble, yes, but i'm still learning & i'm on a tight budget.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Amps: 2 Bryston 4b-st's, bridged mono (used about $1200 each)
    Pre: Cary SLP-94l Tube pre (used about $1200)
    Dac: Monarchy Audio 22b (used about $900)
    Transport: Audio Refinement Complete (new $900)
    Table: Sumiko Pro-Ject Perspective Belt-Drive Turntable (new $795)
    Phono Stage: Decware Zen Triode 2.0 Tube ($500?)
    Cable: Audioquest Mammoth ($400/pair)
    Interconns: Audioquest Viper ($250/pair)
    Speakers: Thiel 7.2's (used $6000-$7000)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tryrrthg
    edited July 2003
    Options
    gmorris, no problem. I love dreaming! :D

Russman, Nice call on the Thiel 7.2! I heard those BIG bad boys a few months ago, NICE!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ok I'll put together a 2 channel rig:

FANTASY SYSTEM

Amplification: 2 Mark Levinson No.33 monoblock power amplifiers

$40,000 (pr)

Preamp: No.32 Mark Levinson Reference Preamplifier

$15,000

Phono Preamp: Boulder 2008 phono preamplifier

$29,000

Turntable: Clearwater Reference turntable

$55,000

Tonearm: Clearwater Reference Tonearm

$25,000

CD Player: Linn Sondek CD12

$20,000

SACD Player: Krell SACD Standard

$4,000

Speakers: Dynaudio Evidence loudspeaker

$85,000 (pr)

Speaker Cables: Audioquest Everest Speaker Cable 10 Ft.

$10,400 (pr)

Interconnect Cables:Audioquest Sky Interconnects 1.0 M.

$1,800 (pr)

Total System Cost = $300,000 ±

:D House to put this system in = $3,000,000 (audio gear should never exceed 10% of the value of your home - HT can be slightly higher!) :D
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • gmorris
    edited July 2003
    Options
    shack,

that is what i'm talking about. that $300,000 price tag is insane!!

i still think my Sony boom-box in an aluminum garbage can idea is worth a shot.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gmorris
    i still think my Sony boom-box in an aluminum garbage can idea is worth a shot.

Be sure to change-out the internal speaker wire to expensive high-end wire. That last couple of inches of signal path could make the difference. Also.. of course.. line the garbage can with 1-3 inches of polyfill. You'll be able to recreate about 85% of the benefits of a titanium oxygen-free garbage can, for much less money.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Shack,
    do you take credit card? :D:D

since I need one set for each 5-room that I have, do you have volume discount program?

btw, you are right on! those ML are a dream machine!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ok, since the thread has an 'utterly rediculous waste of money' side to it, I throw out the Kharma Grand Enigma. $1,000,000. (without sources, you'll need to add a Technics 5 disk changer or some such)

The following was taken from the Kharma web site (september 2000)

O.L.S. (Oosterum Loudspeaker Systems) was founded by Charles van Oosterum while he was studying electronics in particular electromagnetics and electromechanics at the University of Eindhoven. Although he began with no other goal than to finance his experiments with different designs and driver concepts, word of his talent spread, and he was soon sought by individuals and other companies for his design skills. By 1984 O.L.S. was a successful manufacturer of systems for consumer and professional use. That same year he introduced the now familiar concept of satellite subwoofer speakers systems to Holland.

In 1992, one of the best known audiophiles invited Charles to listen to some music on his existing system. After many hours of listening, this gentleman turned to his guest with a challenge - although his existing system was good, he wanted something perfect. It just so happened that Charles had a computer design of a system that was "in the works", but when asked about it Charles had to explain that it only existed on disk.

Intrigued, the gentleman commissioned him to build the system, with one important provisio: if he liked it he would pay for it, if not he wouldn't. Undaunted, Charles went ahead and built what was to become the Grand Enigma System - one of the largest and most exclusive high-end consumer loudspeakers ever made.

This 12 ton system is fully active with 30kW of amplification, equipped with 24 ultrahigh efficiency planar-magnetic HF-units, 24 15-inch LF drivers and 48 6-inch MF drivers. Placed in a specially prepared subterranean listening room of 45,000 cubic feet, it presents sound with incredible dynamics and limitless power, easily reproducing live concert levels at a distance of 10 meters. Needless to say, Charles was paid well for his work.

e-800.jpg

That ought to about end the post as far as 'this rig costs the most', back to reality anyone? ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ya, all well and good if you want speakers designed by a guy named Oosterum.

You can buy one heck of a good system *and* go to a shitload of actual concerts - in a limo - for a million bucks.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have absolutely NO IDEA how to answer this because if I had an unlimited amount of cash for a system, I would have to spend and INCREDIBLE amount of time traveling all around the world to listen to TONS of equipment before I made my decision.

I just haven't heard enough stuff to say what I would get. I could probably settle with some Dynaudio speaks though. ;)
  • shack
    edited July 2003
    Options
    This 12 ton system is fully active with 30kW of amplification, equipped with 24 ultrahigh efficiency planar-magnetic HF-units, 24 15-inch LF drivers and 48 6-inch MF drivers. Placed in a specially prepared subterranean listening room of 45,000 cubic feet, it presents sound with incredible dynamics and limitless power, easily reproducing live concert levels at a distance of 10 meters.

Yeah...But did he use Home Depot lampcord or did he step up to Monster Cable ®?

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited July 2003
    Options
    A great Big top 'o' the line Halcro amp amd pre amp with the fabulous J&M lab Grand Utopias and Nordhost (red dawn) cables with the cd player i alrady own
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Nice call on the Jm Gary.

Let me add another answer for my dream system.

I'll take Gary's System #1.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Easy one........

Krell Master Reference mono blocks 120k each by 5 total 600k

Krell Home Theater Standard for 5 channel external in 6k

Krell SACD standard 4k

Dynaudio Evedience Masters 85k per pair 2 pairs plus a single for center channel.About 215k total

REL Studio III 9k

Transparent OPUS MM Speaker Cable all the way around.36k for the front 2,16.5k for the center channel and around 100k for the rears.

Transprent OPUS MM Balanced Interconnect by 5 around 20k

Transparent OPUS MM RCA for SACD by 6

Transparent OPUS MM sub cable

Transprent PowerIsolator XL by 6 around 19k

Transparent PowerLink XL 20 Power Cord by 7 around 18k

Lets see that system without amp stands,deadicated outlets and the room to put all this in would run about.....well over a million dollars to listen to music........

:D
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Flavor of the month. The shear amount of Dane responses sorta suprise me. Nothing wrong with *most* Danes, I'd be happy to own them. However, could just be me, but seems like the 'default' response. Dynaudio is the shiznit, period?

There is SO much more out there, might of well have said 'Bose'.

Sorry, but hifi 'round the 2nd Reagan administration took a BIG downturn. Personally, I wouldn't give a bucket of piss for some new Krell, Levinson (no *Mark* there fellas, the name was sold, hasn't been there in some time), and all the rest of the modern day boutique *crap*.

You guys remember, when we started to experience 20K amps, and TONEARMS for Christ Effin Sake. HELLO? McFly?

I'm not worried about it, I know what I know, and am perfectly pleased with such knowledge. I can only hope the non-believers can experience the same someday. It actually makes me sad, to a degree.

Cheers,
    Rooster (strapped into his Hazmat Uniform // flame on)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

I'm not worried about it, I know what I know, and am perfectly pleased with such knowledge. I can only hope the non-believers can experience the same someday. It actually makes me sad, to a degree.

Cheers,
    Rooster (strapped into his Hazmat Uniform // flame on)

I'm all with that!!! By the time I got to this post and finished reading all the pricey stuff out there I was thinking change the name of the thread to, "More money than Brains".

But I am the guy with all the cheap speaker wire and innerconnects so who am I to say?:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Russ,
    I'm not going to flame you....your opnion,your bussiness.......but,
    it leads me to believe that you never sat infront of a pair of Dynaudio's powered by Krell and wired with Transparent.

As a musican I never heard anything recreate Music like that......nothing.

eff the names for a minute and listen...........unreal.

I also believe your response is quite stereotype..tipical.

This thead is just for fun......if money was no object......
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I also believe that a dream system should be from the heart and not from the price tag.......you have to firmly believe in everyting you put into your dream rig........what dreams are made of so 2 speak........

Krell,Dynaudio,REL and Transparent I fully believe in and trust.Price no object I would own.
    Dan
  • shack
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Levinson (no *Mark* there fellas, the name was sold, hasn't been there in some time)

Would someone please let the folks over at Harman International/Madrigal know this! They're still using the wrong name.

http://www.marklevinson.com (Note the date at the bottom of the page - © 2003 Harman Speciality Group)

• RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Russ,
    I'm not going to flame you....

As a musican I never heard anything recreate Music like that......nothing.

I've heard the supposed 'best of the best', I'd put my mortgage on putting you through a TRUE db test. And I don't mean your buddy Liv saying 'Dan, Im going to switch the cables now'.

Musician? I thought you worked at Tweeter? I guess the old saying about the 'day job' comes into play here.

Flame away, you can't touch me if you wanted to. Not saying your opinion is wrong, its probably in the (uninformed) majority. Spend on I say!!!

;)

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • shack
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ok - since the first system I listed was a little "over the top", here is a real world 2 channel system that I "COULD" purchase today if I wanted to let go of the cash.

Pre-Amp - Bryston BP25 - $2,395

Amp - Bryston 3B SST - $2,295

CD/SACD - Sony SCD-1 - $3,500

Speakers - Vienna Acoustics Beethoven - $4,500

Interconnects and speaker cables - Audioquest Coral and Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable - $400

Turntable - none

Total MSRP - $13,000 ± ($10,000 - $11,000 street).

I have actually heard this system (with Sony SCD555ES instead of the SCD-1) and this is a rig I could live with for a long long time...plus this is the top end of what I would ever pay for a stereo rig.

• mantis
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Musician? I thought you worked at Tweeter? I guess the old saying about the 'day job' comes into play here.

Umm Hello?

I have played Guitar since I was 9,I have been in bands,played in clubs etc.I can play alot of differnet Instruments.......I know the sound of real music,how a drum kit sounds raw....etc.

I have no desire to sit and battle the choices I made for my ultimate dream system.I don't believe you that you heard the Dynaudio line powered with Krell........Wired with Transparent.

Real world and dream world are 2 different things my man....

Real world I'm thrilled to death with my system currently.100% happy with the way it's turning out.

I thought this thead was for fun....dreaming and all.....I assume I could be wrong here.

Carry on...
    Dan
  • gmorris
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Come on guys, can't we all get along?

This was supposed to be fun. Remember, opinions are like ****, everyone has one.

As a newcomer to the world of high end audio, I wanted to see what people thought about this subject.
  • tryrrthg
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Flavor of the month. The shear amount of Dane responses sorta suprise me. Nothing wrong with *most* Danes, I'd be happy to own them. However, could just be me, but seems like the 'default' response. Dynaudio is the shiznit, period?

I do think they're the shiznit! Granted I am relatively knew to this hobby, there are only 2 speakers I've heard that I'd give up a pair of Dynaudio 1.3SE or Special 25's for. The Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 6 and Avalon Audio Eidilon. The Avalons were effortless and sweet and the Wilsons were just powerful.

I haven't heard the Evidence series but based on the Dyn's I have heard I picked them. I still have a LOT of speakers out there to listen to. I would LOVE to hear some JM Lab Grand Utopia, ACI's top of the line, ProAc's, Vienna Accoustics, the list could go on and on...

I've heard your choice, the Theil 7.2, and thought they were great speakers, tons of bass, but I would not give up my Dynaudio monitors for them.

I'm not trying to start a fight, or flame war, just my opinion, which makes this hobby so great. One man's junk is another man's treasure...

Just curious, but what Dyn's have you heard?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,038
    edited July 2003
    Options
    :: If Money Was No Object:: We wouldnt all be here on Club Polk because we wouldnt have low/mid fi speakers.

Nah I'm just hackin ya, id get a whole bunch of Wilson along with a whole bunch of Mark Lev.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited July 2003
    Options
    tryrrthg.

I was going to get the 1.3SE, but got a pair of used mint Confidence 3. Have you heard the C-3? The 1.3SE is nice but if you are some day considering the SE try to check out the C-3. The 1.3mk2 that you have is a good speaker. I am using a pair for my rear speakers. I really like my setup. Some people would probably disgree. For instance, I doubt if Russ would care for my system because it is Danes powered by KRELL.

My money is no object system? That is a tough question. I can say this. It would involve some sweet young thing, ( over 21 ) bringing me food and drink while I enjoy the million dollar system.

joe
  • tryrrthg
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I was going to get the 1.3SE, but got a pair of used mint Confidence 3. Have you heard the C-3? The 1.3SE is nice but if you are some day considering the SE try to check out the C-3. The 1.3mk2 that you have is a good speaker. I am using a pair for my rear speakers.

Damn! Nice rig!

No I haven't heard any of the confidence series. I've only heard the Contour Line. 1.8, 1.3SE and obviously the 1.3mkII. I'd love to hear the Special 25 too but I don't have a Dyn dealer anywhere near me! I was on vacation visiting a friend in Austin, TX, when I first heard his 1.3SE's. I heard the 1.8 there also. I bought a used pair of MINT 1.3mkII's because that's all I could afford. I was going to get the Audience 52's but got the 1.3's for about $200 more. Couldn't beat it for $1100, and they were only 5 months old!

I'm trying to find an amp for my set up, but don't have the cash at the moment. Someday, someday...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ah, ****.

Guys, that wasn't me posting last night. That was another Russ. An evil Russ, and well, I killed him.

-R