Kinetik HC1400 install

Options
eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
LONG TIME BOYS!
So my stock battery in my 07 civic finally took a dump, I ordered it on amazon with my student amazon prime account (thank you free shipping). I am just wondering if i will be needing any terminals for it. Any installation tips?

i am very exited to have a battery that wont die if i run my stereo with the car off for 10 seconds (not an exageration) and hopefully my windows will roll up at normal speeds and my lights wont dim.
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Its just a bolt, so you'll want a simple ring terminal on everything.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    went with a Monster 300 series terminal for the (+), didnt get one for the (-)...
    can i use the existing factory one for it?
    big 3 worth doing or should i try the battery first. im not running that much wattage.

also got some 200 series 4gage terminal rings
    http://www.frys.com/product/4574137?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

ive tried crimping these before and have had terrible luck, i think i ended up hammering it... are these made to be soldered, if so, i dont have a torch to use, can i just fill the bottom with some solder with a regular iron and stick the wire in quickly?

Cody, u are the man, thanks for the response, i figured u would be the one to help out, i appreciate it as always.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • exalted512
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I don't know what it looks like from the factory. I'd imagine its not just a simple ring terminal though.

The big 3 is always worth doing. It'd be a great time to get it done while you have the battery out. A little more room and you won't have to take it out again at a later time.

I hardly ever solder my terminals. Waste of time and energy IMO. Unless you want to buy a $300 set of Klein crimpers, one of these works great:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Hammer-Welding-Cable-Lug-Crimper-NEW-LENCO-840-/190433045886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c56b1ad7e#ht_1047wt_1139

Put the connector in it, then use a hammer and hammer it down. Pretty simple, pretty cheap. Looks a lot cleaner and typically a better connection then hammering it on a hard surface.
    -Cody
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Okay so heres what went down today. I knew my battery was coming so i started to take things apart.
    I took out the stock battery which was nice and full of beautiful toxic residues.
    Took the battery ground > battery off, took the engine > frame off, undid the alternator cable.

I went to the local stereo shop over here and was able to get some remnants from the trash for free, ended up with some amazing blue stinger power cable, the stuff is so flexible its incredible, and 2 1.5 foot pieces of black stinger cable.
    I went with 4 gage on everything btw.

First issue i hit was the 2 stinger terminals the guy at the stereo store talked me into had issues, connecting to the battery, u use an Allen wrench to adjust the grip of the terminal to the battery, one of the got striped so it couldnt fasten well enough. we ran back to the stereo shop before close and they were out of them, so i had to get the cheaper version stinger makes which was a piece of crap, has 2 8 gage inputs 1 4 gage and a 0awg, the factory power (2 8 gage cables) were very stiff wiring and wouldnt fit properly in the stinger terminal so i had to cut a little off and force them in... then while fastening the negative stinger terminal down, once again it wouldnt not fasten properly to the battery head so it striped... and when i say striped in not talking about the allen part, im talking about the threading inside the terminal...
    Then i decided i hate those so i went to frys and get a negative 300 series terminal and some adjustable terminals for the wiring, these are amazing, just overpriced. got the car running, took it on a nice long drive down PCH, parked to walk around at a resort on the water with a nice big firepit u can sit at and listen/look at the ocean.... get back to my car and and it wont start, the cheap stinger terminal let the factory power connectors come undone... so then my buddy held the cables to the terminal while i started it, drove home... on the way home my breaks didnt work correctly... interesting considering i just got them done... i think it was related to having the power cables undone... so tomorrow im gonna have to be late to work, go to frys and get the monster terminals and terminal connectors and fasten them that way.

Here are the products....

http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-Gauge-Matte-Blue-Power/dp/B001H1I4DG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1286433702&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-HPM-Pos-Battery-Terminal/dp/B001F6LVFQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1286433802&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MPC-P300-SLM-BC3/dp/B000CIGB94/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1286433863&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Crimpless-MPC-P300-CPRT/dp/B000CIIATS/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_c

when i finish it all up ill post some pics, maybe they can help others.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • exalted512
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I use knukonceptz for my personal wiring. Stuff is fantastic and the pricing is hard to beat.
    -Cody
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    yeah i installed a buddies system in his mazda 3 and i ordered from them, it was good stuff, but this stinger stuff is so flexible its nuts.

just used monster terminals and terminal rings for everything, everything works great stereo sounds cleaner than ever, sub is hitting harder... a lot harder, i actually used to have it on 15/15, with the same settings its on 4/15, its a whole other world.

K, i might be crazy... or it may be that i just put some lucas fuel injector cleaner in... but my far feels like its got more power... could what i have done caused this?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0416-1.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    k4.jpg
    IMAGE_217.jpg
    DriverDoor.jpg
    PassDoor.jpg
    IMAGE_219.jpg
    IMAGE_220.jpg
    IMAGE_028.jpg
    IMAGE_011-1.jpg
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    im not sure how the pic of my chick got on there... or the speed...

Still need to grab the heatgun from work and shrink the connections... i wana figure out a way to make things look a bit cleaner too.

I have enough mat left to blanket the trunk, so that will be next project, today was too hot.... the rest of the week was rainy... CRAZY SO CAL WEATHER!
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • exalted512
    edited October 2010
    Options
    yeah i installed a buddies system in his mazda 3 and i ordered from them, it was good stuff, but this stinger stuff is so flexible its nuts.

just used monster terminals and terminal rings for everything, everything works great stereo sounds cleaner than ever, sub is hitting harder... a lot harder, i actually used to have it on 15/15, with the same settings its on 4/15, its a whole other world.

K, i might be crazy... or it may be that i just put some lucas fuel injector cleaner in... but my far feels like its got more power... could what i have done caused this?

Sounds like you used knu's regular wire and not the fleks stuff. Having dealt with most of the major manufacturers out there, knu, stinger, RF, Kicker, Memphis, DB...theyre flexible lines dont really differ that much. Except that knu usually has more strands in the same size wire.

Ive had about 3 people come back after we did 'the big 3' saying it seems like their car got faster after we did it. I dont know enough about engines to say why, but maybe I'm assuming it has something to do with grounds that are too restrictive...or maybe youre all crazy...who knows
    -Cody
  • eloplayspolo
    edited October 2010
    Options
    my girlfriend must be crazy too, she got here tonight without knowing i made any changes and noticed my car accelerating faster.
    the grounds i removed were pretty ridiculous.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8