Ghetto vinyl

Options
FTGV
FTGV Posts: 3,649
edited September 2010 in 2 Channel Audio
I recently found this Technics SLD2 that someone had dropped off at our local recycling station.It's functional and in very good condition but didn't have the dust cover or a cartridge.Since I'm piecing together a little 2 ch basement rig for casual listening and nostalic reasons I thought I would incororate it into the system.
While I have a couple of cartridges left over from my vinyl days I'll be looking at budget offerings and will also need a phono pre.
Post edited by FTGV on

Comments

• Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ha, I've got one of those on my bedroom rig right now. Came with a very decent Sony cartridge and is reasonably quiet. Got it for nothing. I had to adust the tone arm bearings and align the cart properly but that is all. I'm using it with an old Yamaha CR-800 Receiver and a pair of Dynaco A-25's. Retro all the way except for a Yamaha 5 disk changer.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Not bad, not a bad find at all. The recycling place is a place to stop by quite often. I think a nice phono preamp may be your next find there.

What cartridge are you going to use? MM or MC cartridge? I hope you have fun turning some vinyl. I do needle thingy but different needle anyway. :eek:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • FTGV
    edited September 2010
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Not bad, not a bad find at all.
    I also found a vintage Marantz TT there but it's in rougher shape.
    I think a nice phono preamp may be your next find there.
    That would be nice but I'm on the lookout to buy a decent one or I might even DIY something suitable.
    What cartridge are you going to use? MM or MC cartridge?
    MM,since it's only for casual listening the budget is low:)
    I do needle thingy but different needle anyway. :eek:
    Insulin ?
  • megasat16
    edited September 2010
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    I also found a vintage Marantz TT there but it's in rougher shape.That would be nice but I'm on the lookout to buy a decent one or I might even DIY something suitable.

MM,since it's only for casual listening the budget is low:)

You never know what you'll find at the E-recycler and what nice stuff Audio God will bestow upon you. I think when the old folks are gone; the younger generations don't mess with Vintage stuff and most good stuff got either put up in estate sale or simply become landfill which is a shame.

Since you are only using MM, check this out. IMO, C-21 got one of the most comprehensive MM Phono stage and a good line amp to boot. The bass is simply awesome and neutral. It's a little analytical at time but I think it'll be OK when paired to M-22.

http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/c21_preamp.htm

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73679

The James in there is not me, by the way. But it was a good read.

Insulin ?

:eek::D For the love of Audio God, I hope not. I meant the needle in VU meters. :)
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    edited September 2010
    Options
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-Doctor-Phono-Preamps-and-Stereo-Phono-Preamps-1-800-229-0644-Audio-Technica-PEQ3-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=35249

Here is a ok one for 43$.
    Otherwise, i would check ebay or the gone if there is not one in the for sale section here.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • FTGV
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Since you are only using MM, check this out. IMO, C-21 got one of the most comprehensive MM Phono stage and a good line amp to boot. The bass is simply awesome and neutral. It's a little analytical at time but I think it'll be OK when paired to M-22.
    I already have a decent pre(Pass BOZ)so am only looking for a stand alone phono section.However that is a very nice looking vintage pre. with all discrete circuitry. The big **** companies certainly had the know how to produce excellent products if they wanted to.I take it you have one of these in your collection?
    eek::D For the love of Audio God, I hope not. I meant the needle in VU meters. :)
    Oh that kind of needles,I forgot about your nice collection of Technics and Denon amps with those huge sexy looking meters.
    erniejade wrote: »
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-Doctor-Phono-Preamps-and-Stereo-Phono-Preamps-1-800-229-0644-Audio-Technica-PEQ3-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=35249

Here is a ok one for 43$.
    Otherwise, i would check ebay or the gone if there is not one in the for sale section here.
    Thanks I did see that the other day when I was on their site looking for cartridges.I'm strongly considering it as the price is right and it should be adequate for my purposes.
  • megasat16
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I already have a decent pre(Pass BOZ)so am only looking for a stand alone phono section.

I see. It's a nice pre indeed. I think you are doing DIY for the phono. I think NP got a DIY phono amp similar to ONO?
    However that is a very nice looking vintage pre. with all discrete circuitry. The big **** companies certainly had the know how to produce excellent products if they wanted to.I take it you have one of these in your collection?

Yep, I got one in my collection! It's waiting for M-22 but it sounds pretty good with other amps I tried. I paid for mine fairly cheap so if you want one, I will keep my eyes on the lookout for you.
  • FTGV
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I see. It's a nice pre indeed. I think you are doing DIY for the phono. I think NP got a DIY phono amp similar to ONO?
    The Pearl and Pearl 2?these are likely more than I need at this point.If I diy somthing it will be a simple opamp design something like that shown in the app. notes for the LM4562. http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM4562.pdf

I paid for mine fairly cheap so if you want one, I will keep my eyes on the lookout for you.
    Thanks James, I would appreciate a heads up if you see one available at a reasonable price.It looks like a nice vintage piece and good candidate for a minor refurb.
  • megasat16
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The Pearl and Pearl 2?these are likely more than I need at this point.If I diy somthing it will be a simple opamp design something like that shown in the app. notes for the LM4562. http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM4562.pdf

Cool! Need more LM4562? I got some here if you can use more. ;)
    Thanks James, I would appreciate a heads up if you see one available at a reasonable price.It looks like a nice vintage piece

I will sure keep in mind and snap one when I see one available at reasonable price.

It's pretty solid vintage pre for what I paid and it seems bass is done right. Must be coz all discrete Class A circuitry and hand picked parts selection. FR is impressive on Aux 2 too.
    and good candidate for a minor refurb.

Now, you got me interesting! I don't want to mess with mine yet but I will certainly keep in mind what you think could improve upon it. You got the Schema yet? May be some caps update?

The stock sounds really good now and the phono amp seems neat too. That's why I mention it when you said MM cartridge.
  • FTGV
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Cool! Need more LM4562? I got some here if you can use more. ;)
    Yes James I do have a use for more.

Now, you got me interesting! I don't want to mess with mine yet but I will certainly keep in mind what you think could improve upon it. You got the Schema yet? May be some caps update?
    Yes have the schem http://www.scribd.com/doc/8792072/Pioneer-C21-Premplifier-Schematic. Very nice looking design especially for that era.Hard to believe it's from Pio and not Accuphase.:)And yes I would say due to age a recapping is in order.Theres lots of lytics in there as they used multiple smaller values in the power supply instead of fewer big ones.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ghetto Vinyl! LOL!!!
  • megasat16
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yes James I do have a use for more.

You got it Fred! I think I have 3-4 left. I am going to check my parts drawer this week. I will ship out sometime next week too.
    I would say due to age a recapping is in order.Theres lots of lytics in there as they used multiple smaller values in the power supply instead of fewer big ones.

I think I'll do recap too even though I don't hear it's lacking in bass department or lacks of any highs compared to the other pre I got. It's a joy to use everyday.
  • megasat16
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ghetto Vinyl! LOL!!!

Yep Joe, I think Fred got some of these blaster too. :D

I hate to be his next door neighbor. LOL....:p
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    Options

WTH is that thing!!!:eek::eek::eek:
  • megasat16
    edited September 2010
    Options
    WTH is that thing!!!:eek::eek::eek:

That's Ghetto Blaster aka Bazooka.

That's series 3000. The next step up is series 5000 and then the Millennium series 10K. You don't want to see the Millennium one. :D
  • FTGV
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ghetto Vinyl! LOL!!!
    The PC version would be "very low budget":)
    You got it Fred! I think I have 3-4 left. I am going to check my parts drawer this week. I will ship out sometime next week too.
    Wow thanks James but I'll have to find somthing in my goody box to send back your way.

I want one of those to scare the deer and turkeys away from my yard.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    Options

The hell with PC Freddy it's a disease like cancer!!!;) "Very low budget" would not have amused me!:D
  • megasat16
    edited September 2010
    Options

Wow thanks James but I'll have to find somthing in my goody box to send back your way.

I want one of those to scare the deer and turkeys away from my yard.

Don't thanks me, Fred! I checked my part drawer today and found there are only two left. The others are BB OPA2134 that I got out from my Proceed DSD. Sorry, my memory didn't serve me very well sometimes and thought I have 3-4 of LM4562 left. If you can wait, I will call Newark to send me some more and I'll send them out when I got more.

As far as the goodies goes, I think the box sounds good to me. :D

I think I still got your Addy.

So, you live in a wonderful wilderness and sharing the space with the nature?
  • FTGV
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The hell with PC Freddy it's a disease like cancer!!!;)
    Yep sure is,the quick spreading kind.
    I checked my part drawer today and found there are only two left.
    Thanks but maybe you should keep them for a future use.I'll just add a few to my Digi Key order.Anything you need from them that I can add to my order?
    Yes I live in a rural area so there are all sorts of varmits around here.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    Options

Quote:

Freddy, doesn't Mike (janmike) live in East Jabip too? IIRC from conversations with him he's really out there in the sticks.
  • FTGV
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah IIRC he is way up there in the Yukon where the varmits are much bigger and less friendly,as in Polar and Grizzly bears.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yeah IIRC he is way up there in the Yukon where the varmits are much bigger and less friendly,as in Polar and Grizzly bears.

He must have a cannon for protection!:cool:
  • megasat16
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yep sure is,the quick spreading kind.

Thanks but maybe you should keep them for a future use.I'll just add a few to my Digi Key order.Anything you need from them that I can add to my order?

Sorry I don't have 3-4 but I've already packed what I have yesterday when I looked for them. They were inserted in the DIP14 packages to protect the innocents and packed in anti-static bag and labeled appropriately.

I am not using them and I see very little need for them in the future. So, if you order from Digi-Key, just order what you need minus 2. :)

I think what you call varmits sounds like food to some. :D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Freddy, doesn't Mike (janmike) live in East Jabip too? IIRC from conversations with him he's really out there in the sticks.

I do. And I mean way out there. Sorry Guys and Grirls, been reallly busy lately. :):o
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    Options
    janmike wrote: »
    I do. And I mean way out there. Sorry Guys and Grirls, been reallly busy lately. :):o

Didn't you once tell me that you've invited and sat down to dinner with Polar Bears?:D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Didn't you once tell me that you've invited and sat down to dinner with Polar Bears?:D

More like they wanted to have me for dinner. :D
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    Options
    janmike wrote: »
    More like they wanted to have me for dinner. :D

WAAAAAAAA!!! I just got the image of you running around with all those Polar animals chasing around like you Wile E. Coyote chasing the Roadrunner!!!:D Add Benny Hill music to it and I'm dying over here.