should i build my own turntable wall mount?

Options
polkapolka
polkapolka Posts: 145
edited November 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I am wondering, if for the prices they are asking, it would be practical and cost efficient to do my own wall mount for my turntable, Gemini PT-2000 @ 27 pounds, which is a copy of the Technics SL1200.

I mean, would it be that hard? Am I missing something here? It looks like you go to the hardware store, buy a few good L-brackets, or other mounting hardware, drill it into the studs, and add your preferred medium as a platform.

Can anyone give any advice, point me in the right direction maybe? I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks a bunch,
Matt :D
Mitsubishi 60" HD LDP
Polk RTI-A3 L/R
Csi-a4 CC
Polk CSW 10 Sub
Pio. Elite VSX-03
Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-Ray
Polk Fxi3s for surround.[/SIZE]
Post edited by polkapolka on

Comments

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I built my own, yes it can be as easy as it sounds. Got the heavy duty triangular shelf brackets from Home Depot for the supports and used 3/4" MDF for the platform. I cut 6 18x22 inch pieces of MDF and laminated them together using construction adhesive. After the shelf was dry I sprayed it with automotive undercoating from a rattle can. The shelf sits on 3 spikes that are bolted through the supports.

The wall I have mine bolted to is cinder block. Between the supports and the wall I used some sheet rubber that's used under door threshholds to make a more secure connection.

The whole thing may have cost me $40.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I built my own back in Maine like that. I didn't have the means or free time recently so I bought the Binderman type; also because I wanted to flush to the top of my cabinet/rack.

1272316002.jpg

Pricey, but VERY well executed.
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2010
    Options
    WOW! Is that nice or what!?! What kind of wood base is being used there Doc?
  • doctorcilantro
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Maple. I had entertained putting Dynamat on the bottom. Will explore that after more resonance tests.
    The wall mount platform is offered in the following sizes:
    20.5" wide by 16.5" deep...cost $549
    24.0" wide by 18.5" deep...cost $589
    27.0" wide by 18.5" deep...cost $609
    The weight capacity of a properly installed wall mount turntable platform is 125 lbs.

Steve is top notch.

Here's mine
    4879504436_c30a841350.jpg
    4880724825_2ee1d54837_z.jpg
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Maple. I had entertained putting Dynamat on the bottom. Will explore that after more resonance tests.

Steve is top notch.

I thought so . . . great wood for isolation and tuning!;) Careful with the Dynamat Doc. I lined a platform for a TT years ago with Sorbothane sheets and the when I playes the TT it sounded muddied and mushy. Sorbothane sheets are easy to remove, Dynamat is not so easy.
  • doctorcilantro
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I think this design is great, but you need some serious materials; I'd love to see DIY versions.
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    Options
    We posted at the same time Doc. Check the post above your last one.
  • doctorcilantro
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Thanks. Also, I think I previously abandoned the idea because it would mean pulling out the cabinet to get under the platform.
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• doctorcilantro
    edited October 2010
    Options
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• doctorcilantro
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'm looking at adding some BDR pucks, possibly the very thin new ones, in conjuction with some Herbie's dots under them.

I have a lead on BDR Source shelf, 16x20, for $500 new but it would shrink my usable width a bit and my phono stage would sit a tiny bit off the edge. Not sure what to do. The BDR is pricey enough just putting together some pucks, the Source shelf keeps tempting me.

I currently use Maple and I won't be able to test anything for awhile, maybe I should jump on it.
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes

• hearingimpared
    edited October 2010
    Options

Pierre makes some great solid tweaks. He's a bit of a nut but knows good sounding music reproduction and has spent his life in the pursuit of awesome sound music through tweaks as well as other items.
    I'm looking at adding some BDR pucks, possibly the very thin new ones, in conjunction with some Herbie's dots under them.

I have a lead on BDR Source shelf, 16x20, for $500 new but it would shrink my usable width a bit and my phono stage would sit a tiny bit off the edge. Not sure what to do. The BDR is pricey enough just putting together some pucks, the Source shelf keeps tempting me.

I currently use Maple and I won't be able to test anything for awhile, maybe I should jump on it.

I use BDR cones (Mk IV) on the four corners of my turntable base in conjunction with Quest for Sound's Isol-Pads. http://www.questforsound.com/accessories/acc_sqIsolPads.htm

Great stuff those Isol-Pads. The price in the link is incorrect. It is $25 for a set of four. Beware of imitations. These things really work. BTW Mapleshade had a similar product but for once I have to say Pierre missed the mark on these. Too small and too high! Isol-Pads are thin and perfect and really work. I use them under all my components.
  • LouG
    LouG Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'm sorry for adding to such an old post, but I tried looking for this mount and couldn't find it anywhere. Can you tell me where this mount comes from? It looks great and may be just the mount I need for my system. Thank you

I built my own back in Maine like that. I didn't have the means or free time recently so I bought the Binderman type; also because I wanted to flush to the top of my cabinet/rack.

1272316002.jpg

Pricey, but VERY well executed.
  • doctorcilantro
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It's a Blindermann wall mount. Not cheap but very well flush
    designed
    For Sale 2019:
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes