My rig is set for now

Options
scottdawg
scottdawg Posts: 166
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Well since securing a set of SDA SRS 2's for cheap I have assembled an awesome 2 channel rig. This system rocks, I had to early out from work today to get home and play, the soundstage is tremendous. If you like rock I highly recommend the new audioslave cd, it will put your rig through a workout. I have some work to do on the room acoustics and am looking at some stuff made by echo busters. I will tolerate the liveliness for now. Other improvements will be new DH labs interconnects and a DAC. Future upgrades, phono stage and who knows what else. This is what I have put together

Speakers: SDA SRS 2's or JBL L100T's
Amp: B & K ST3030 (200wpc)
Source: CalAudio DX-1
Preamp: Antique Sound Labs LH-01 (tube)
Speaker wire: DH labs
Interconnects: Old premium in their day Monster cable (ugh!)

The preamp is new, everything else is used.

Audios
Scott
Post edited by scottdawg on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Set for now, huh? Sounds like a challenge to me... gotta be something to pick on.

Amp.... no.
    Pre-amp.... no.
    Speakers.... Hell, no.
    Source... no... no wait...

That's it. You've only got one source dude. What you need is a good TT. First you can agonize over it, then what cartridge, what phono stage... Whew, had me worried for a minute. Thought I was going to have to ask what kind of terminations you had on your speaker wire... :D

Seriously, very nice 2 ch rig there, Scott. Seems to still be a hint of dissatisfaction around your IC's, but that's tweak stuff.

So enjoy this layover on your audio journey cause the dreaded, but also relished, upgrade itch will be back sooner or later.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    You're right. It is set "for now". There are many flavors to be had. You seem to have good taste buds. Then again tastes change. Except for ICs, I wouldn't change a thing. For now.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • scottdawg
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well I want some different tubes too. Hehe
    Anyone know a reputable person to buy some 6DJ8/6922 tubes from. I could pick one out of the blue off the net but surely someone here knows someone I could use and not be sorry about it. Room acoustics is by far my next step. Since Im not married and only have my 2 boys to nag me I can get by with alot, especially the decor.
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2003
    Options
    And how long is "for now"?LOL One thing that works for me is speaker positioning. Whenever I feel the need to upgrade something, I just play around with speaker positioning. Helps fight the craving. Glad to hear you're enjoying those SDA's.

If you really want to give your speakers a workout, try Cradle of Filth www.theorderofthedragon.com or Blood Red Throne, Immortal, etc. These guys go upwards of 240 beats per minute using double bass drums. Crazy stuff but very good for testing the "speed" in a system.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    These guys go upwards of 240 beats per minute using double bass drums. Crazy stuff but very good for testing the "speed" in a system.
    Ginger Baker is smiling somewhere right now... Ever heard "Do What You Like" off of Blind Faith's self-titled 1969 release?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• scottdawg
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Damn things change fast, Since this posting I have added 1 set of dh labs IC's between pre and amp, replaced JAN phillips 6922 tubes with Mullard and do to reasons beyond my control am substituting the SDA's with JBL L100T's. In process of making my own echo busters in a bright ear bleeding room (details later) with naturally bright speakers and fairly new speaker wire / IC's,NOS tubes. All the above = highs and mids too high, Bass not enough.
    My Fix- Purchase pjdamis NADC270, complete the room acoustic panels, made from foam used to make seats for club car golf carts, retrived the waste created during trial runs at a local manufacturing plant where I have been doing contract construction. Replace the JBL's with the SDA's and get one more set of dh labs IC's. Then turn it on and see where I am at. In the mean time play alot of music to break in some gear.