stereo receiver

Options
glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited June 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I've decided to buy a stereo receiver. I just need some recommendations. I want it to have a sub pre-out. I have a pair of RTi70 and a PSW202. I want to be able to hook up my TV to it and a DVD player for music and DVD. I'm looking at spending 600$ canadian. I want something that is simple and sounds good.

Give me some suggestions.
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited June 2003
    Options
    glemay,
    Are you sure you only went to get a stereo receiver. For $600 you can get a decent suround sound system, just incase you start picking up extra speakers. It kind of happens around here. I know in U.S. $ that is ten bucks :D. But seriously it has to be about 350 - 400, but still plenty to get a denon 1803 or onkyo. Clearanced you maybe able to get something better. Also, there has been some good recievers in the flea market lately too.
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited June 2003
    Options
    It is near impossible to get just a plain stereo receiver these days I think. For about $400 US, I also vote for the Denon 1803. It will do stereo as well as surround and the Denon sounds fantastic with my RTi70's and my PSW202. For straight music, I just put my Denon in stereo mode, set the mains as large, and the crossover at 80 Hz. It rocks and the PSW202 is all the sub I need.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Are you needing a remote? How big is your room.

Here's a gem of a tuner and integrated. $85 + shipping.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3029966768&category=3280

Oops, no sub out. How's about dual pre-outs and amp? Gimme a quart.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Sherwood 105 watt stereo receiver for $80 at CC. Works just fine in my upstairs rig. Actually sounds pretty good with the Large Advents.

We have a no-name combo CD/VHS/DVD unit for $120 connected to it. This little package sees daily use and does everything the kids need.

Keeps them out of the main HT rig downstairs. ;)

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you just want something basic, I agree with Dr. Spec, get a cheap one.

Look on Ebay for some good deals on stereo receivers, like Gidrah posted.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    ATC venom has a receiver for sale, did you see that?

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10410
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I just picked up a Denon DRA-685 Stereo Receiver (100 wpc) and I have a Denon AVR-1802 (80 wpc). Let me compare them for a couple of days and will give you my opinion if the 180X AVRs do as good of a job.

You might also want to check out Harman Audio http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/default.asp?sp=S&cat=REC&market=HOM

Harman Kardon makes some nice stereo receivers and you can get their refurbs and B-stock here for a nice price. I have heard them and they sound great. I think ATCVenom had the HK-3470 (100 wpc) and liked it. I was ready to pull the trigger on one of these when the Denon became available.

I'm also going to be very interested in the new Outlaw 2150. It is a "retro look" 75 wpc stereo receiver in the $550 range. Given Outlaw's reputation for conservative power this may be a nice unit. I'm not blown away by the only picture I've seen (a mock-up at HES 2003) but I tend to like the look of the Outlaw equipment and I may like the final version. Here is the link to the pic.

http://pic4.videogon.com/i/he2003/f/orig/1054842529.jpg
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tdpofjc
    tdpofjc Posts: 14
    edited June 2003
    Options
    For two channel stereo I have an Onkyo 8511 Rcv. 100 W very clean sound, has remote, 2 video connections, 2 pair of a/b speaker connections that output both at the same time. List for about $300. Doesn;t have a subout but teamed with 2 RT800i and PSW404 it sounds great. I speaker wire to the sub then sub to the rt800is..I make the bass adjustments on the psw404

The only 2 channel stereo recv with a sub out I found is Harmon Kardon. I am not sure of the model but its 75w per channel. its retails for about $350 US.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I use a seperate preamp / amp combination for system 2. Carver C-1 pre and Carver M-1.0t amplifier. I'm confident it kicks the pants out of everything mentioned above. You might want to check them out on ebay
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you're interested in ATC's receiver, I'll vouch for his sales and newer JVC receivers.

I've gotten some of his old stuff and it was always a pleasure doing business.

I've got a different JVC receiver (mine does 5.1 to my standards). I'd like to believe they're starting to come back from what they were 10 yrs ago, but I could be fooling myself. The 2-ch (stereo) sounds great. Some of the analog surround modes sound pretty bad, but who listens to that anyways.

Good luck!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    http://harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK%203370-Z

$147 direct from HK, sub out, and pre outs (for later expansion).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.