DIY Line Array Project

Options
setzer808
setzer808 Posts: 173
edited July 2010 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hey gang,

Decided I would post the results of my DIY Line Array towers I built. This was just a summer project for the heck of it, and i'm very pleased at how they turned out. They use the JVC 3x5's that were recently on clearance at Parts Express. The housing is vinyl fencepost and caps. I'll let the pictures make things clearer. The sound is surprisingly good and produces a very lively/large soundstage on music. Currently I have them wired at 16ohm's each to fit the needs of an older amp for home use, but I did wire them at 4'ohm's each and ran them off a PA amp to test them in an auditorium vs a pair of Bose line arrays. Their throw is impressive. I like my results...especially considering the total cost for all the materials of the pair was under $50 or so. :)

4790393065_2bc4c7c2e1.jpg

4790392883_d8760d5b82.jpg

4791025440_a13e9ea4c1.jpg

4790393449_145df650ec.jpg
4790393535_ca40707593.jpg
Polk CS245i Center
Polk RT55i Mains
Polk RT25i Rears
Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
Post edited by setzer808 on

Comments

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Pics are not visable
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Those are pretty sweet looking and the price is right on. :p Do they have an kind of filter, or are you running them sans crossover?
  • setzer808
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Thanks. As I still consider them a work in progress they are running fullrange with no crossover or notch filters or anything at the moment. I may do some more tinkering on that front in the future when my next projects are done. Though I do have a spare EQ I might use with them as well come to think of it...
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

That is totally badass and weird at the same time. I hope you had fun making the speaker cutouts.... ;)

It looks like the speaker terminal is a 1/4" plug. I wonder why? Are you gonna use them as guitar speakers?
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Spiffy! Nice job and the price is so right :cool:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • setzer808
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Thx again, ya it is a 1/4" jack. I first hooked them up to a powered mixer when I was testing them in the auditorium and did that for convenience there. Since I had a pair of old cables that were 1/4" to bare wire available for the home setting lying around, it ended up working in both places. I've had some friends/co-workers asking me to build them a set, in those cases I would use a standard binding post plate.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • audiobilly
    audiobilly Posts: 351
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ya gotta fly the subs next to em!!!

http://clairglobal.com/clients/
  • setzer808
    edited July 2010
    Options
    audiobilly wrote: »
    Ya gotta fly the subs next to em!!!

http://clairglobal.com/clients/

Don't tempt me....I've already had visions of adding a smaller spire containing a tweeter array (not that the extra highs are really necessary) beside each of those...and mounting the spires on a multi-driver sub stack. ;)
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Can someone point me in the direction or tell me why line array is cool, other than the looks?

I'm halfway interested in building something like this, but would like to have more justification to the SO other than "But it LOOKS bitchin'!!!"
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Can someone point me in the direction or tell me why line array is cool, other than the looks?

I'm halfway interested in building something like this, but would like to have more justification to the SO other than "But it LOOKS bitchin'!!!"

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=218570
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »

Thanks... that's pretty interesting, though i'm now unsure if that's what i'm looking for. :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • setzer808
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Basically a line array works by exploiting the interaction of multiple drivers...the gain from that many
    same-purpose drivers outweighs most of the negative interactions involved so that the larger your array...the more benefit you get in the areas of long throw distance, power handling, etc. Also line arrays have some benefits when it comes to lower microphone feedback...which I have witnessed....but don't have a firm enough knowledge to speak much on.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Now if these could be made waterproof, just think of the potential for outdoor speakers.
  • setzer808
    edited July 2010
    Options
    woofiepaws wrote: »
    Now if these could be made waterproof, just think of the potential for outdoor speakers.

Oh I know...I've been wishing I could find a good supply of cheap, full-range drivers like the JVC's that were weather-resistant...
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • frodaddy
    frodaddy Posts: 124
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Am I missing something? Where are the tweeters?
    Fronts: DIY Statements from htguide.com
    Center: DIY custom Statement center from htguide.com
    Surrounds: Four DIY custom Mini Statements
    Wire: HD-14
    Receiver: Denon AVR-4806 + CI upgrade
    Amps: Dual Emotiva LPA-1's
    Sub: Infinite Baffle: 8 fiCarAudio IB315 woofers, Behringer DSP1124P EQ, Elemental Designs eQ.2, Dual EP4000 amps
    Transducers: 2 buttkicker LFE's, BK amp, EQ'd w/DSP1124p
    DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2 / PS3
    TV: Samsung 1080p 61" DLP
  • setzer808
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The 3x5's are full range drivers that sufficiently cover the high frequencies.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • frodaddy
    frodaddy Posts: 124
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I went to PE's site to look for specs but couldn't find them.. what model are they? I think your speakers look cool, just curious :)
    Fronts: DIY Statements from htguide.com
    Center: DIY custom Statement center from htguide.com
    Surrounds: Four DIY custom Mini Statements
    Wire: HD-14
    Receiver: Denon AVR-4806 + CI upgrade
    Amps: Dual Emotiva LPA-1's
    Sub: Infinite Baffle: 8 fiCarAudio IB315 woofers, Behringer DSP1124P EQ, Elemental Designs eQ.2, Dual EP4000 amps
    Transducers: 2 buttkicker LFE's, BK amp, EQ'd w/DSP1124p
    DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2 / PS3
    TV: Samsung 1080p 61" DLP
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,063
    edited July 2010
    Options
    This here project surely must fit in the things guys do catagory!

Great job and ingenuity also!

You could always just bring them outside when you barbeque and ad a sub with the outputs to handle the lows. I want to start my own set as soon as it gets cooler weather down here.

Cool.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nduitch
    nduitch Posts: 316
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I wonder what these sound like:

They are from a demo room at the Grado headquarters

Apparently they each have 32 headphone drivers. Can someone explain how this would work? How can these sound good from far distances?
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited July 2010
    Options
    setzer808 wrote: »
    The 3x5's are full range drivers that sufficiently cover the high frequencies.

I seriously doubt that~
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • setzer808
    edited July 2010
    Options
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that~

I used the term "sufficiently" deliberately.....the 3x5's have a lot better high end than many full-range drivers I've encountered...but I would still say they only handle the high end "sufficiently"....not exceptionally or excellently. Kind of like how you could live on MRE's and water....all the technical requirements for survival are met...but its not lobster and Dom P
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • setzer808
    edited July 2010
    Options
    @frodady: They were a buyout item at PE from JVC. I think they sold out about a week ago. If they ever get any more in and you order them...order at least 20...that way they come in a nice plastic-spaced packaging that protects them...otherwise they are wrapped in cardboard and may suffer a bit in transit.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Coolest thing I've seen all week.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.