Recruitment Drive

Options
George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
According to the thing, there are 24,807 REGISTERED members of the forum. I think it would be a stretch to say that we hear from 50.
I propose, in order to get some new blood, we mount a MASSIVE recruitment effort, get 24,807 NEW people on board, and out of all those new folks MAYBE there will be another 50 like us.

Or is it just me?

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I have to wonder too, out of the 24 thou+ members, how many of those have joined only to never even re-visit the site again. Or perhaps joined some time ago and don't even own Polks any more.

Not that I think we're a boring lot, and this is not a complaint, but it does seem it's the same small lot of us participating. If I were to guess, I'd figure there are what, maybe four or five times the number of members reading the site than ones posting? There's nothing wrong with that, but even if it's ten times, that's not even in the realm of 24 grand+. Maybe the new Forum software will be able to tell us how many different members actually visit the site per month or so on average?
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hi:

I was surprised to see how many members we have and only a few actually post. Oh well, I will add whatever I can and learn also. Works for me.

Gary:
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    Options
    What's with the "sgtgto" handle? Secret code from your "Force" days?

• dbartol
    dbartol Posts: 66
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I have no idea who any of these people are in the new forum. Other than George, Russ, Micah, and few others. It's like walking into your favorite bar and finding all strangers. Did everyone change their names??? WHERE AM I!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I think therea re only so many people who have the interest in posts like this. Half the people I tell about me visiting the polk audio forums more than my e-mail give me strange looks and laugh. The other half didn't quite hear what i said. I think it's just that people are playing with the site and find the members ection and sign up. They then ignore the fact that there is a polk forum at all.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Who are you? I used to know a Darrin and a Super Hot Guy, but who the heck are you?
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I don't wanna screw with your head or anything, but... I'm not me. I mean, I haven't been feeling like myself lately. Or I mean, I don't know what's come over me. Or what I really mean is, I'm at odds with myself. I COULD really mean I don't know who or what I'm becoming.

How am I gonna know it, IF and when I come to my senses? Does somebody call and tell you? Prizes?

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited July 2001
    Options
    George:

My handle comes from.... I was a SSgt. in the Air Force, and I had three GTO cars, thus sgtgto. All I could think of at the time.

Gary
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I wish we could get more people involved. I try try try all the time, in the newspaper, etc., to get people to log on and contribute. You'd be surprised at how many people even right here in the building don't even know we have this forum.

As for "quality over quantity" posts... I think that'll even out over time. I think as we get over the newness of this software -- and it's about friggin time -- we'll return to talking about, you know, important, earthshattering AV issues.

I just saw "Castaway," and it absolutely sucked. Just so you know.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    Options
    That's not earth shattering. I already knew it sucked. The only thing that could've salvaged that, was if he had pluked Wilson. I would've LOVED to seen the look on that balls face...OR, the ball trying to run away!

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I'm a little tired of seeing Mr. Hanks at every turn, but I thought it was worth the rental...predictable, yeah....little disneyish, yeah....but still, kept me entertained, and led to a decent post-movie discussion, had it been 'our' lives...

Cheers,
    Russaway
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mjmcg
    mjmcg Posts: 102
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Does registering one's serial numbers with the Polk site for warranty purposes entitle one to club member status as well? If so, that would explain the high number of supposed members, and small number of active forum members. Many may buy the product and find it convenient to register their warranties online, but just don't ever visit the page again to see what is available...or maybe they just have the good sense to see us and run?
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I'm Jeff. I'm from Colorado. I like long arguments on the beach and hate redundant customers. I join the forum within the last few months (probably around late may). I work at cc. I'm eighteen. I also think DTS is better.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    Options
    You guys are so cute.

I think it's a good assumption that people register online and then hardly ever come back.

And I got all weepy in "Castaway" when Wilson floated away after the storm. I felt like the emotional core -- the truly great acting of the volleyball -- had been cut out of the film at that point. That volleyball had more range than Tom Hanks. Is it me, or is "Bosom Buddies" still the greatest thing he's ever done?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • bernardo
    bernardo Posts: 120
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hello everybody,

I just wanted to let you all know that I've been here since February 2000. I read the forum usually more than twice a week and I've posted maybe 4 times.
    I really enjoy it, but I usually don't find many things to add. Sometimes I just die to say something, e.g. THX debate, but I decide to keep a low profile when things start to heat up. :(

BTW, I particularly enjoy George's sense of humour.
    So thank you...

Bernardo
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    Options
    No, thank YOU.

• dbartol
    dbartol Posts: 66
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Ya know I tried to change that damn Dbartol name back to Darrin but couldn't figure it out. DAMN IT MAN, SOMEBODY HELP ME! Who the @#$^$ am I. What have i done with SHG? Where's Darrin. DAMN YOU DBARTOL!!!! DAMN YOU AND YOUR GORGEOUS FACE!!!!!!!

lost in space
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I'm kind of like bernardo, above. I've been registered and reading this forum for probably 18 months or so. I've rarely posted anything except in the last few weeks. I've been purchasing some new equipment, so I've been on here a little more trying to learn what I can.
    Jason
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I could probably learn a thing or two from bernardo. I rarely add anything but I post a lot. Like this post. Completely pointless. except that: Bernardo, just give us a post every once in a while letting us know your still alive. see, still pretty pointless.
  • jcaut
    edited July 2001
    Options
    It helps some of us "Polkies" get our numbers up.
  • bernardo
    bernardo Posts: 120
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Sure I can do that, maybe even I can upgrade from Polkie.
    On the other hand, I think that some guys should be upgraded; just take a look at the old Forum and it is evident that some of the current Polkies deserve better.

Bernardo.
    (see I'm already posting pointless messages ):D
  • jcaut
    edited July 2001
    Options
    But....
    We don't gain anything with these multiple posts on the same thread!
    Oh, I guess we do! Sorry!
    Oops, should have posted again instead of editing! j/k:D
  • polkster13
    polkster13 Posts: 37
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Well, just call me an old-fashion romanticist!

<<Putting on flame suit>>

I loved Cast Away! Yes, there are a couple of scenes that didn't make sence, like the airplane engine still running after the plane crashed, but hey, maybe it could happen. Let's ask the resident expert on jet engines: George, what do you think? Could it happen? At first, I didn't like the ending.

Then after I thought about it for a while it made perfect sence. The whole movie is questioning what life is about and what is important. Everyone has a different answer! If the movie had tried to answer the question for you, then I would think that would have lessoned its impact.

It sure made me stop and review my life and made me think about what was important in my life and how much we take simple things for granted. Could you have survived on an island all alone with almost nothing for FOUR YEARS?:confused:

That is why I liked the movie. Not only did it entertain me but it also made me think about a lot of things which also included reviewing my life and what I thought was important.

I also bought the DVD and the extras on this disk are great!:D

Lessons learned: Family is more important than things. It's no fun living alone. Don't make promises you can't keep. Enjoy life regardless of your circumstances as there is always someone worse off than you are.

<<flame suit off>>
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Engine should shut down as soon as the fuel supply is cut off. But maybe they hit the water just so, if you know what I mean...
    Gill Man, as long as you got your $10 worth, life for me is good. I've seen worse films, and Tom Hanks seems to be a decent human. Film just wasn't for moi.