RT800 problem

Options
mtabing
mtabing Posts: 9
edited June 2003 in Troubleshooting
One of my RT800 sounding really weak compare to the rest of the speakers (CS400, RT35, FX300). It sounds weak and muddy (not crakling or humming) compare to the other RT800 i have. I switch their location and still the same. When I did the tone test on all speaker this one sounds like its half way less than others and not as bright tone coming from it. Is this sound like a bad driver? The unit is old, if its cheap to repair than I might just repair it but wants to find out my option here.

Thanks.
Post edited by mtabing on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,036
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I believe it is wired out of phase, check your wiring. Make sure the + and - is matched up. Report back then.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mtabing
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well thats what I think also and check them after hearing the difference, both cables from speaker and to receivers end. Polarity is all good and connectors are secured.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,036
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Alright then, then Im clueless. Good luck though. Maybe some of these Old Timers on here can help ya out.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Being out of phase would have zero to do with the effect in question. If one of the speakers were out of phase with the other, they would each still sound fine alone, but you wouldn't have a stable stereo image.. the sounds would appear to float all around the room.

The problem lies within the speaker given that you checked both amp channels.

Sort of sounds to me like you lost a tweeter. Might want to crack her open and check the internal wiring. Also, swap out the tweeters and see what happens. Actually, you should be able to put your ear up close and tell if the questionable drivers are each playing or not. But you could put the bad tweeter in the good speaker and see what happens.
  • mtabing
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I guess thats the best way to confirm the bad part. Ill do that and open both unit. Now that you mention the tweeter, I just realize that sounds might be the problem. As I heard the sound first thing I check was cables, swap the location and check it again. If this is a tweeter, anyone know how much? The speakers are great and even though their old in design and style - they do sound great still.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I can't find the RT800 in the list of old speakers. I found the RT800i.. I assume they're different.

When you get the tweeter out, there should be a model number on the back. Click "Service and Parts" at the top of this page, then you can click on the specific drivers link to get a price.

I'd call out on the Flea Market forum for a used one before I'd buy new.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The 800 uses the SL6502, same as the 55.

I have 2 mint 'spares', however they do belong to Henry (HbombToo), so if you need one, negotiate a price with him.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mtabing
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Ill confirm the part number and if its the same Ill check on your spares if its still available. Thanks.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mtabing
    Ill confirm the part number and if its the same Ill check on your spares if its still available. Thanks.

If Russ does not care then there your for the taking.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***