A question for folks over 50...

Options
TECHNOKID
TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
edited May 2010 in The Clubhouse
A simple question for the working folks that like me are 50 years of age and over;

At this phase of your life do you feel that you are still markettable (still easy to find a job) or do you feel somewhat uneasy when job searching?

Personnally, I know my experience and knowledge is a double blade since it is appealing for an employer but also might be scrary for the employer since he realize that there is a cost for that experience and that maybe the employer would ratter employ a young lad with less experience which he wouldn't have to worry about paying top dollar for the employe.

There is another factor that makes me a little uneasy, I worried that the employer might think it is best to hire a young strong employe ratter than an older one (I am talking about the physical aptitude).

So, the end result is I kind of tend to stick with the present comfortable position rather than seeking new challenges (which in reality is more who I am).

Any comments, experience or fear you want to share?

Cheers!
TK
DARE TO SOAR:
“Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
Post edited by TECHNOKID on

Comments

• 32deuce
    32deuce Posts: 49
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'd say go with your gut.

I know that being older has at least this one drawback, being told you are "overqualified" for a job. Yep, i heard that one.

32deuce
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Luckily this is not something I have to deal with at the moment. But, certainly, if I were on the job market my attitude would probably swing back and forth from thinking that I 'knew' way more than any youngsters and would be better at dealing with problems and rough spots and unexpected and awkward situations than any 20 or 30 year old, but I would also feel that I was "probably" overqualified for MOST of what is actually available out there--entry level nonsense with all this downsizing. There are 'very' few jobs for someone our age to actually choose from. And experience can 'matter' less to some employers.

So I say, do your best and try not to let a bunch of fools take the wind out of your sails. You've been around and only 'you' know what you can do. If you can communicate that as well as you can you should be able to 'run' rings around the other candidates. If on the other hand ALL they want is COST CONTROL--then even a Bill Gates or an Albert Einstein would have no chance.

You should walk away and not take that 'personally'.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2010
    Options
    For me and someone in my position/age, the experience factor comes into play,I work in a hospital as a departmental director of Cardio-Pulmonary Services & Sleep Labs,, (2 facilities),, with that said,,I am also the interim Laboratory director until a new director(lab) is hired. Someone earlier said the COST word,and they nailed it,,front line management is challenged with cutting operational costs,so I guess what I am saying is don't jump if you are in a reasonably secure position,build upon the experience gained and position yourself to survive the economic downturn.Service is the key,,service,service ,and cost effectiveness.Just my .02, sorry for the ramble.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Still marketable for sure. Even in early 50's, we offer many years of experience and like it or not, about 20 more years of service. Face it, we' ll likely have to work till we're 70 the way things are going with senior care programs. The way I look at it, I still have a lot of good years to offer once I decide what I'm gonna be when I grow up. I'll be 52 this summer. I'm in a comfortable financial analysis position with a stable government contract. Better than many, but not completely guaranteed either. The contracts always have 'terminate for convenience" clauses referring to the entire program, not individuals. I see us hiring new kids from college and have forgotten the deer in the headlights look I must have had 30-something years ago. There's a lot to be said for the things that usually accompany age such as wisdom, experience and confidence in your abilities as well as knowledge of your limitations.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Being marketable and being hired are 2 very different things in todays world....Years ago those who had 15-25 years experience and were 40 plus were looked at as assets and a prize hire....today..not....a lot of companies are looking for the low wage entry level employee...with my experience,contacts, and achievements I am very marketable, BUT getting a reply from resumes sent this last job hunt was very frustrating......over 150 resumes sent out in less than 2 months with 2 replies...LOL..(yes I do KNOW how to write a resume and good cover letter)....but both were looking for less experience (low starting wage) I have never had a problem finding a good job until now, this is the first time I had to send resumes out to find a job, in the past there were always plenty of opportunities out there from word of mouth...not now.....the ONLY reason I found my present soon to start job was WHO I knew, and thankfully they had a upper mgmt position in my field.....I would say if you have a good job and feel comfortable in the position keep it,job hunting today is a dog eat dog world and quite depressing......2 job fairs I went to had over 2,000 people applying for 50 jobs, no I didn't wait 3 hours just to fill out a application that is read by a 20 year old ;)
    After spending a little time out of work and knowing how hard it is to find a job my prayers go out to all those still looking.....Best of luck in your search...
    Technokid.. best of luck to you whichever direction you take.................
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It gets tricky... I'm a younger pharmacist at a hospital in my city and our whole department has noticed that the quality of work by the older pharmacists (I.E. over 50 year olds) has declined since healthcare standards of care and the type of work we perform now-a-days has changed so drastically over the last 10 years.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone over 50, (and the sentiment that the older folks are having a hard time keeping up isn't just shared by the young employees :)) but it is looking to be more difficult for the older set to find work in the more competetive pharmacy roles around here..

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    A simple question for the working folks that like me are 50 years of age and over;

At this phase of your life do you feel that you are still markettable (still easy to find a job) or do you feel somewhat uneasy when job searching?

Personnally, I know my experience and knowledge is a double blade since it is appealing for an employer but also might be scrary for the employer since he realize that there is a cost for that experience and that maybe the employer would ratter employ a young lad with less experience which he wouldn't have to worry about paying top dollar for the employe.

There is another factor that makes me a little uneasy, I worried that the employer might think it is best to hire a young strong employe ratter than an older one (I am talking about the physical aptitude).

So, the end result is I kind of tend to stick with the present comfortable position rather than seeking new challenges (which in reality is more who I am).

Cheers!
    TK

I've been self-employed since Jan 1996 and had never experienced business as slow as it was a few months ago. As a backup plan, the thought of re-entering the workforce entered my mind.

First, I realize I could NEVER work for someone else again.

Second, even though I have launched, successfully run, built-up and sold businesses for 16 years, I do not feel that translates well to a resume. I do not feel particularly marketable, especially in the income range I now require.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    edited May 2010
    Options
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    Being marketable and being hired are 2 very different things in todays world....Years ago those who had 15-25 years experience and were 40 plus were looked at as assets and a prize hire....today..not....a lot of companies are looking for the low wage entry level employee...with my experience,contacts, and achievements I am very marketable, BUT getting a reply from resumes sent this last job hunt was very frustrating......over 150 resumes sent out in less than 2 months with 2 replies...LOL..(yes I do KNOW how to write a resume and good cover letter)....but both were looking for less experience (low starting wage) I have never had a problem finding a good job until now, this is the first time I had to send resumes out to find a job, in the past there were always plenty of opportunities out there from word of mouth...not now.....the ONLY reason I found my present soon to start job was WHO I knew, and thankfully they had a upper mgmt position in my field.....I would say if you have a good job and feel comfortable in the position keep it,job hunting today is a dog eat dog world and quite depressing......2 job fairs I went to had over 2,000 people applying for 50 jobs, no I didn't wait 3 hours just to fill out a application that is read by a 20 year old ;)
    After spending a little time out of work and knowing how hard it is to find a job my prayers go out to all those still looking.....Best of luck in your search...
    Technokid.. best of luck to you whichever direction you take.................

How true John! At middle age (55) I'm finding it very frustrating being back out in the job market. I recently sold my Food Service Management Company after 16 successful years. I was counting on my experience & knowledge being a plus. What I'm finding out is that being a prior business owner is a double edged sword. A lot of companies shy away & others are questionable with their "over qualified" nonsense that one gets during an interview. I've actually had to dummy down my resume a bit to even get any calls. Frustrating!!!!

Looking back I should have kept my company going but that's spilt milk now.

It's truly amazing how companies go for the younger, much less experienced candidates over experience & knowledge. I guess the bottom line comes down to the almighty dollar. What a shame!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • NotaSuv
    edited May 2010
    Options
    "What I'm finding out is that being a prior business owner is a double edged sword. A lot of companies shy away & others are questionable with their "over qualified" nonsense that one gets during an interview. I've actually had to dummy down my resume a bit to even get any calls. Frustrating!!!!"

LOL I did the exact same thing...dummy down my resume....its a rough field right now Phil..lots of jobs BUT no one wants to hire us more mature experienced folks...and if you are not PRESENTLY employed in the position they are looking for a lot of agencies wont even work with you regardless of what you bring to the table...best of luck to you and if anything opens where I am going i will drop ya a PM, glad now I never hooked ya up with the company I just left... ;)
    Enjoy the Holiday weekend...............
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited May 2010
    Options
    That's what had happened to my uncle, he was way to overqualified. They would have had to pay him 4 times starting salary. He has so many computer certifications, and masters everything computer wise. He could not find a job for quit awhile. He did eventually get a job at GE in Florida...but he took a monster pay scale cut before he was hired. I guess it's more of how bad do you want the job, and regardless of what you should earn what are you willing to take to get this job.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Well it's nice to know that we are all in the same boat! NOT!

Being "over-qualified" translates into "You cost too much money" and they don't want to have to pay you that money since they think that you won't STAY with them after they go through all the trouble to hire you.

I have been utilizing the outplacement company that was provided to all of us laid off. And today the BIG thing to do to get another job is NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!

We should all be calling 25 people a week telling them about ourselves and asking for more information about what THEY do in their company, and do they have any more names or leads for us so that we can call those people as well!

We have to develop profiles, and make business cards to hand out to all these people, and make a MARKETING plan for ourselves to show these people, and don't forget to signup up and do this at LINKED-IN. More businesses check you out on Linked In rather than all other job sources combined.

Christ I wish I could retire!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yeah, there is a job in our area called Connect North where that is what they have to do. Call a certain number of people ask if they want to renew this or that...and if they do they get a check for the day. They need a minimun of 4 calls per minute and 60 checks PER day.
    Yeah...thats what all the teenagers do. SInce they are under qualified. I know of a guy that has a masters in law enforcement and since the budget for the surrounding areas cannot afford him, he is jobless. He had to move.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Timely topic! I'm 52 and have been considering looking for a new job for a couple of months. I've had the present one about 13 years with a large company. No real complaints with the company or the wages. However, I've been on the second shift for the entire time with no chance of ever working a "normal" day job.

I put some discrete feelers out and the options are few. Yes, there are several positions I can take but at a greatly reduced salary and an uncertain future.

What I have noticed is the companies/people I've spoken with want to bring on younger folks and save on the wage. Secondly, they seem to want to groom new hires in their image and are reluctant to bet on an older guy who may seem set in his ways and may be unable/unwilling to adapt to the new corporate structure.

So my options are take the reduced salary, try and exhibit I'm capable of adapting to a new environment or stick it out where I am for another seven years until retirement eligible.

I'm not certain what direction I'm going to take. I'm almost at the point of accepting a lower salary just to work a normal day.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I lost my job in Jan 2009 and have yet to find another one. Biggest problem for me is that I worked in the check operations division of the federal reserve bank and since no one is writing checks anymore.....Commercial banks arent hiring us folks either of course. 27 years of experience has gone down the drain. been trying to work with the skills i used and transfer those over to another career but so far no luck. so, revamping the resume, taking computer classes also..will see what happens...
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's truly amazing how companies go for the younger, much less experienced candidates over experience & knowledge. I guess the bottom line comes down to the almighty dollar. What a shame!
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Being "over-qualified" translates into "You cost too much money" and they don't want to have to pay you that money since they think that you won't STAY with them after they go through all the trouble to hire you.

Not only is it a shame for companies to think this way, it is also short sighted and costs more money in the long run.

A competent experienced person will cost more, but the company gets someone who can do the job quicker, better and more efficiently. This is especially true of knowledge based occupations.

In the long term, companies really don't save any money with younger less experience employees because many of these people are going to make costly mistakes. A fair number of them are also going to jump ship once the company invests significant time and money training them. I think that an older, more experienced employee is a better investment because mid-career people are typically not interested in job hopping and their job prospects are somewhat limited because of their cost.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • NotaSuv
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Not only is it a shame for companies to think this way, it is also short sighted and costs more money in the long run.

A competent experienced person will cost more, but the company gets someone who can do the job quicker, better and more efficiently. This is especially true of knowledge based occupations.

In the long term, companies really don't save any money with younger less experience employees because many of these people are going to make costly mistakes. A fair number of them are also going to jump ship once the company invests significant time and money training them. I think that an older, more experienced employee is a better investment because mid-career people are typically not interested in job hopping and their job prospects are somewhat limited because of their cost.

Very true but sadly companies no longer look at the big picture a year or two down the road like they use to...now its how much can I save today/this week/this month........
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I've been doing what I'm doing for over 32 years. I need 12 more months of employment at my current salary to get my youngest our of college. Burnout is a factor and I would love to do something "else". We "could" live on my wife's salary if we had to but it would be a little tight. I'm considering going back to school when my daughter graduates to take what skills/knowledge I have in another direction. I could cut my income in half and be more than comfortable with the kids gone. I am at a point in my life where I want to do something I really enjoy rather than just earning a living. For now I will plug away and see what happens.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bsoko2
    bsoko2 Posts: 1,449
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm 67 now and retired (forced out after 33 years) when I was 57. They sweetend the pot by giving me 5 years to put my bennies at 62 so I wouldn't take a cut for retiring early. Doing OK and enjoying this HT hobby.
  • renowilliams
    renowilliams Posts: 920
    edited May 2010
    Options

Cheers!
    TK

I'm 49 and not quite there yet, but four years ago I was hired by my current employer. A lot of true stements have been made by others in this thread. Gettting hired even from mid forties age group can be difficult. I work for Rolls Royce civil nuclear division but for ten years prior to that I was a social worker employed by a mental health agency. Most people will have several careers in their working life. I think one major thing to do is to not burn bridges behind you, no matter how much you disliked a boss and or job. Another thing, resumes will rarely net you a job. Networking is always a much better strategy. Getting a job is mostly about selling yourself, which for most of us is difficult to do. Anyway, good luck.
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm just over the 1/2 way point to 50 (26), but I thought i'd throw some of my thoughts into the field.

How many of you ran into this scenario?

Me: "I want this job".
    Them: "Get work experience"
    Me: "That's why I want this job!"
    Them: "Can't hire you without experience!"
    Me: "But I can't get experience without getting hired!"
    Them: "True."

I was stupid in my teenage years school-wise, and didn't get a chance to get into college. I was even more stupid in my early twenties and made myself a family. Now I can't afford to go to college.

All my "experience" has been self-taught, and therefor my "work" experience was limited to Walmart and other temp jobs until last year. Last year I applied (with no hope of getting the job) for a school technician position at my old middle school.

I got lucky. I impressed the Principal at my interview, and he decided to take a chance on me. He also said that my references and people I knew were a big influence.

The moral of the story - who you know is just as important as WHAT you know. It's been said already - NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK. I'm just now beginning to realize how important those contacts are, and am starting to cultivate opportunities around my community to get my name known and learn the names of others so that in the future I can use them to my advantage.

Kinda sounds bad when I put it like that, doesn't it?
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited May 2010
    Options
    What I find is that when I am a new person (college grad just going out into the workforce) I prefer to work with people that have a TON of experience. One they will tell you what you need to know, how to do your job, and get it done right. My manager has been around for 26 years with our company. I have a ton of respect and look up to him because he knows what he's doing and does it right. If I was under a 20 something year old fresh out of school like myself, I would tend to have a lot of doubt and question things they are doing because of that lack of experience.

Companies need to also look at that experience and see how it affect others that the person is working with, in my job I like it because I have someone to go to with a complex question, or make a very important judgment call, those things get shaky when you start hiring younger and younger that have no idea whats going on.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2010
    Options

I'm almost that age so I will respond. If you stay where you are you will stay where you are.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I've been self-employed since Jan 1996 and had never experienced business as slow as it was a few months ago. As a backup plan, the thought of re-entering the workforce entered my mind.

First, I realize I could NEVER work for someone else again.

Second, even though I have launched, successfully run, built-up and sold businesses for 16 years, I do not feel that translates well to a resume. I do not feel particularly marketable, especially in the income range I now require.
    What you are saying is real, I experienced it my self when I made the decision to close my business and decided to go back on the job market.
    How true John! At middle age (55) I'm finding it very frustrating being back out in the job market. I recently sold my Food Service Management Company after 16 successful years. I was counting on my experience & knowledge being a plus. What I'm finding out is that being a prior business owner is a double edged sword. A lot of companies shy away & others are questionable with their "over qualified" nonsense that one gets during an interview. I've actually had to dummy down my resume a bit to even get any calls. Frustrating!!!!

Looking back I should have kept my company going but that's spilt milk now.

So thrue!
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    Timely topic! I'm 52 and have been considering looking for a new job for a couple of months. I've had the present one about 13 years with a large company. No real complaints with the company or the wages. However, I've been on the second shift for the entire time with no chance of ever working a "normal" day job.

I put some discrete feelers out and the options are few. Yes, there are several positions I can take but at a greatly reduced salary and an uncertain future.

What I have noticed is the companies/people I've spoken with want to bring on younger folks and save on the wage. Secondly, they seem to want to groom new hires in their image and are reluctant to bet on an older guy who may seem set in his ways and may be unable/unwilling to adapt to the new corporate structure.
    So my options are take the reduced salary, try and exhibit I'm capable of adapting to a new environment or stick it out where I am for another seven years until retirement eligible.

I'm not certain what direction I'm going to take. I'm almost at the point of accepting a lower salary just to work a normal day.
    Gordon
    Your findings are quite thrue but don't forget that letting an employer hiring you for cheap is also a double blade. I've done it hoping to prove my self. The only thing that happened is I was asked more and more for the cheap money. My income has improved quite a bit (nearly doubled) since 6 years ago but never will I be able able to get on par with what I am doing is actually worth.
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    Very true but sadly companies no longer look at the big picture a year or two down the road like they use to...now its how much can I save today/this week/this month........
    Business is business as they say!
    shack wrote: »
    I've been doing what I'm doing for over 32 years. I need 12 more months of employment at my current salary to get my youngest our of college. Burnout is a factor and I would love to do something "else". We "could" live on my wife's salary if we had to but it would be a little tight. I'm considering going back to school when my daughter graduates to take what skills/knowledge I have in another direction. I could cut my income in half and be more than comfortable with the kids gone. I am at a point in my life where I want to do something I really enjoy rather than just earning a living. For now I will plug away and see what happens.
    I too am at the age where making money isn't the priority and would prefer to do some I love and have passion for however, how far do you have to go? I mean why should we work below our value?
    I'm 49 and not quite there yet, but four years ago I was hired by my current employer. A lot of true stements have been made by others in this thread. Gettting hired even from mid forties age group can be difficult. I work for Rolls Royce civil nuclear division but for ten years prior to that I was a social worker employed by a mental health agency. Most people will have several careers in their working life. I think one major thing to do is to not burn bridges behind you, no matter how much you disliked a boss and or job. Another thing, resumes will rarely net you a job. Networking is always a much better strategy. Getting a job is mostly about selling yourself, which for most of us is difficult to do. Anyway, good luck.
    I fully agree there.
    I'm just over the 1/2 way point to 50 (26), but I thought i'd throw some of my thoughts into the field.

How many of you ran into this scenario?

Me: "I want this job".
    Them: "Get work experience"
    Me: "That's why I want this job!"
    Them: "Can't hire you without experience!"
    Me: "But I can't get experience without getting hired!"
    Them: "True."

I was stupid in my teenage years school-wise, and didn't get a chance to get into college. I was even more stupid in my early twenties and made myself a family. Now I can't afford to go to college.
    All my "experience" has been self-taught, and therefor my "work" experience was limited to Walmart and other temp jobs until last year. Last year I applied (with no hope of getting the job) for a school technician position at my old middle school.

I got lucky. I impressed the Principal at my interview, and he decided to take a chance on me. He also said that my references and people I knew were a big influence.

The moral of the story - who you know is just as important as WHAT you know. It's been said already - NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK. I'm just now beginning to realize how important those contacts are, and am starting to cultivate opportunities around my community to get my name known and learn the names of others so that in the future I can use them to my advantage.

Kinda sounds bad when I put it like that, doesn't it?
    This is the total opposite. I am very fortunate that I never had to exoerience this in my early days as a worker. There were lots of job then and you could still get a job then. As far as college, no matter where you are at today (family men etc...) it is still possible as long as you really want it. In fact I woke up at 25 realizing I was simply a worker and didn't have any specialised education. I then went back to school and fortunately the trade education was done in the military.
    madmax wrote: »
    I'm almost that age so I will respond. If you stay where you are you will stay where you are.
    What you are saying is thrue. What is also thrue is that when you are older you don't take chances (gamble) as much as you did when in your 20s for example.

Some that hasn't been discussed yet is the fact that with age comes health problems and issues which a potential employer may be worried about. In fact, I have been on sick leave for 4 months now and this is also a double blade in the sense that I at least now have some time I can devote to market my self. However,getting sick is a big eye opener and it can be a problem when marketting your self but on the other hand finding a job which you have passion for may help remaining healthy.

Actually during the past couple weeks I was job searching at the same time I was getting the medical attention I needed. I actually spotted a job that seemed to be perfect for me at this point of my life (closer from home, perfectly within my knowledge and experience). What was ackward was that originally they were open to people of 55 and over. When on the Monday I came back with the intention of sending my resume I found out that their requirement had changed slightly and part of it is that they no longer openly invited people over 55 to apply. I sent my resume and haven't heard anything since (the job is suppose to take effect on May 31st).

Now I will more likely be back to work in early June and therefore it will definitely be harder to be job shopping.

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • shack
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote:
    I too am at the age where making money isn't the priority and would prefer to do some I love and have passion for however, how far do you have to go?

I mean why should we work below our value?

I guess it depends on who's valuing the work. It might be worth more to one to do it...than it is worth for someone to pay for it.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I guess it depends on who's valuing the work. It might be worth more to one to do it...than it is worth for someone to pay for it.
    Actually I value my self as per my previous salaries and market trends. It seems that small to medium busnisess don't really rely on the market trends but rather on the cheapest labor, right?

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • shack
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote:
    Actually I value my self as per my previous salaries and market trends. It seems that small to medium busnisess don't really rely on the market trends but rather on the cheapest labor, right?

You are missing the point. I may value doing a job more than the market says it is worth in terms of compensation. The "some things are more important than money" aspect. If it is a job that I enjoy tremendously, gives me great satisfaction, meets my needs intellectually/emotionally, etc but does not pay as much as I could make doing another job...I might be willing to work way below my monetary market value. In other words, I am valuing the job more than the market does.

• TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You are missing the point. I may value doing a job more than the market says it is worth in terms of compensation. The "some things are more important than money" aspect. If it is a job that I enjoy tremendously, gives me great satisfaction, meets my needs intellectually/emotionally, etc but does not pay as much as I could make doing another job...I might be willing to work way below my monetary market value. In other words, I am valuing the job more than the market does.
    Ok, I get your point now and I agree with such as this is what I'd like to be able to do eventually. Now at some point in your life is while doing what you are passionate is so important the money aspect also has some priorities. For example unless one's home-house is fully paid for, RRSPs requirements met, dets and any other money concerned are taken care then the money aspect has to be considered at potentially as big of a priority than the love for the job. A few thousand a year of pay cut isn't too bad if you consider piece of mind that a job you love provides however, considering a job that pays let's say half of the hearnings might not cut it if your money goals-planning isn't yet all accomplished.

Now, this is still good food for tought because being on medical leave get me to experience lower income as I figure I loose about a 1000$ a month and yet I haven't really experienced much financial stress (less expenses related to work, paying lower % of tax, less stress might just make up and balance for the actual lost) (thank God I can actually rely on a mini military pension)

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited May 2010
    Options
    . . . I lose about a 1000$ a month and yet I haven't really experienced much financial stress (less expenses related to work, paying lower % of tax, less stress might just make up and balance for the actual lost) . . .

I stopped going in to my office in March of 2007. It's still there and staffed by my partner, administrative assistant and technical engineer, but I do everything I need to from home via Internet connection with no loss of productivity or income

I have a lot less stress, and save over an hour per day of lost drive time

On a yearly basis, I save 12,000 miles of wear and tear on a vehicle, about 550 gallons of gas, about $1,500 by not buying a daily Starbucks and other convenient-mart food snacks, no more dry cleaning, spots on good ties and lost cuff links and fewer new clothes purchased, etc., etc.

When I add it all up, it's essentially an $8,000 (or more) per year pay raise!
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • TECHNOKID
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I stopped going in to my office in March of 2007. It's still there and staffed by my partner, administrative assistant and technical engineer, but I do everything I need to from home via Internet connection with no loss of productivity or income

I have a lot less stress, and save over an hour per day of lost drive time

On a yearly basis, I save 12,000 miles of wear and tear on a vehicle, about 550 gallons of gas, about $1,500 by not buying a daily Starbucks and other convenient-mart food snacks, no more dry cleaning, spots on good ties and lost cuff links and fewer new clothes purchased, etc., etc.

When I add it all up, it's essentially an $8,000 (or more) per year pay raise!
    Actually I asked to do this a couple years ago and ownership said he would have to cut on my pay. Afterall being technical sale rep is on line, phone and on the road. If I was expected to solely do that as per job description I wouldn't need to be there but NO I have to cover the business against the kids unreliability, lack op proffessionalism along with a manager that spends more of the working hours taking care of his personal business than the business he gets paid to take care of :(

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's not just the over 50 thing. It's anyone making a decent buck.
    Everything is going to India, or to the cheapest labor here. They really like
    kids just out of college. As soon as they get experience, they're gone, and they hire more greenies.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson