Small engine?

Options
FTGV
FTGV Posts: 3,649
edited May 2010 in The Clubhouse
My lawn mower has a Briggs & Stratton that is acting up.It starts great but after about 15 min it starts to lose power, sputter and gets very hot,acting like its about to cease.Any ideas?
Post edited by FTGV on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Is it out of oil?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • FTGV
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Nope she's full.
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Have you checked the plug?

Also, when was the last time you cleaned the air filter?

• FTGV
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Have you checked the plug?
    It looked OK ,but didnt check gapping,not sure what it should be.
    Also, when was the last time you cleaned the air filter?
    Can't remember.:D
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Sounds like she is running rich. Dirty filter or perhaps a float sticking?
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Take the cooling shroud off and clean out the cooling fins @ the cylinder and cylinder head. It may be full of debris not letting the fan on top cool the cylinder. Also check the fan to make sure it is not clogged.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Echosphere
    Echosphere Posts: 395
    edited May 2010
    Options
    How old is the gas in there?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I don't like the fact it hot and loosing power, but it has oil. Can you change the oil?

Or is she lean, but why a dirty air filter would cause it to be rich...:confused:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's getting hot for some reason, though I have no idea why it is. I would say check the cooling system if it had one, which it don't. check the oil quality, is it sludgey?

maybe clean the engine? it is aircooled so if it is dirty (oily or yard smutz....or both) try giving it a nice clean.

change the plug can't hurt either
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    but why a dirty air filter would cause it to be rich...:confused:

Ummm....really?

Rich condition is a ton of fuel and not enough air to burn the fuel completely.

A clogged air filter reduces the flow of air.

Reducing the flow of air starves the engine for air but the carb still dumps fuel because it's flow is determined by the draw of the piston, not the air flow. So it sucks fuel like a fat kid eating pixie sticks.

Too much fuel can cause carbon to build up in cylinder. Also, too much fuel can cause fuel to pool and smolder which brings up the temps in the combustion chamber. Also, liquid fuel cannot be compressed because fluids cannot be compressed. So as the fuel and soot build up it can change the compression ration enough that the timing and spark temperature are no longer hot enough to ignite the fuel/air mixture.

You also get a condition happening where the electrical spark is snuffed out by the excess fuel in the chamber. Just like shooting a match with a water gun it's snuff it out.

Also, you can reach a point where there is too much fuel in relation to air where there is not enough air for the fuel to ignite.

All of this can cause the conditions the OP is having.

• superjunior
    superjunior Posts: 1,632
    edited May 2010
    Options
    maybe a sticky choke. if its running fine for the first 15 min. than heating up and sputtering out,I would take a look to see if the choke is sticking. just a thought...
    panasonic th-50pz85u
    pioneer elite vsx-92txh
    pioneer elite bdp-05fd
    emotiva xpa-3
    monster power hdp 2550
    sa 8300 hd dvr
    sda 2b's
    fronts - rti a9's
    center - csi a6
    surrounds - fxi a6's
    sub - polk dsw pro 600
    harmony one
  • Jstas
    edited May 2010
    Options
    FTGV, do a tune up and clean the mower.

First off, unplug the electrical connector to the spark plug so it doesn't accidentally start on you and lop something important off.

Pull the plug and read the part number on the side of the ceramic insulator, go to a car parts store or a hardware store and get a new one. If you can, get a new filter element for the air filter. If you can't find one and you have a foam brick for a filter, you can clean it, I'll tell you how to do that below.

While you are at the store, get yourself a quart of SAE straight 30 wt oil and a can of degreaser like Gunk Engine Brite or something and a scrub brush. Also, hand cleaner and gas stabilizer.

When you get home, squirt that engine down with the degreaser and scrub it clean. Remove any plastic fairings it might have first. Once you have gotten the gunk scrubbed, hose it off and let it dry in the sun.

Grab a spark plug socket or a wrench that works and put the new plug in the engine. Pull the filter for the air intake. If you got a new one, shove it in there and button it back up. If not, grab a metal coffee can or large glass jar and pour some gasoline in it. Drop the filter in and let it soak up the gas. Squeeze it out and keep doing it until it's clean. Once it's clean wring it out very well and let it sit in the sun while you go take that hand cleaner and clean the gasoline off your hands. If you want to use gloves for that, use nitrile gloves. Rubber gloves will melt to your hand.

Once the filter is dry, install it. Next, get a drain pan and a couple of saw horses. Or at least something you can get the mower up in the air with and be able to access the oil drain plug. Undo the plug and drain the oil. Once it's all out, replace the plug and fill it up to the fill mark and close the fill plug.

Put the electrical wire back on the plug. Measure the fuel stabilizer out to directions according to the label. Dump it in the tank and then fill the rest with good gas.

Put the mower on the ground, get it set up to start and yank you're little heart out until it starts. Let it run for a bit and see if it dies again. If it does, your engine is trashed and you need a new one. If it doesn't and runs fine after all that, take better care of your mower, man.

One other thing. If the mower runs fine now, let it run a bit and get all that funk out. It'll burn it off as it heats up to an appropriate level. You might notice some smoking. A little blue smoke from oil can be expected from the jostling but if it's alot, you got a bigger problem. If it's gray smoke, that's the funk burning off. If it doesn't stop with the gray smoking, you might have to get the carb rebuilt.

• FTGV
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thanks guys lots of things to check now.I did notice that there appears to be a short plastic hose missing that goes from the carb to what appears to be the crankcase?The mower was given to me a few years ago and has'nt had much use.But my 25yr old LawnBoy bit the dust so would like to get this one working.
  • FTGV
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    . So it sucks fuel like a fat kid eating pixie sticks.
    thats a good one:D.Thanks for the replies.
  • mhmacw
    mhmacw Posts: 832
    edited May 2010
    Options
    coil.....temperature related swell in the coil will seperate a broken wire after it heats up.
  • jerryj12
    jerryj12 Posts: 451
    edited May 2010
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    I did notice that there appears to be a short plastic hose missing that goes from the carb to what appears to be the crankcase?

This hose acts as a pressure relief for the crank case.Like a PCV valve on most cars. Should be able to pick it up at the local small engine shop.
    mhmacw wrote: »
    coil.....temperature related swell in the coil will seperate a broken wire after it heats up.

I would have to agree. Sounds like a good place to start.

I would also get the old gas out of it,and pull the bowl off the carb and give it a good cleaning. A new plug would be a must.

Good luck.
    Jerry
  • FTGV
    edited May 2010
    Options
    jerryj12 wrote: »
    This hose acts as a pressure relief for the crank case.Like a PCV valve on most cars. Should be able to pick it up at the local small engine shop.
    OK thanks Jerry,so it's not likely to be related to the problem?
    I would have to agree. Sounds like a good place to start.
    Could a problematic coil cause the overheating?
    I would also get the old gas out of it,and pull the bowl off the carb and give it a good cleaning. A new plug would be a must.
    For starters I will install a new plug and get an air filter and see what that does.There was a bit of very old gas but I filled it with new.
  • jerryj12
    jerryj12 Posts: 451
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hey GV, any luck on the lawn mower?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Heck the small engine is in your chest. Good luck, nice to see you on PF :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma