Ronnie James Dio - 1942-2010

Options
MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited May 2010 in The Clubhouse
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited May 2010
    Options
    He had a great voice. Rest In Peace Ronnie.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • yepimonfire
    yepimonfire Posts: 256
    edited May 2010
    Options
    one of my favorite metal vocalists :( this is sad.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,259
    edited May 2010
    Options
    67 ?!?!

Ronnie James Dio was about the only person who, IMO, could have stepped into Ozzy's shoes and kept Sabbath working.

I've linked this video before, but here's one for RJD: "Neon Knights"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhe1SuBGkiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhe1SuBGkiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Sal Palooza
  • j allen
    j allen Posts: 363
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Good night, sweet prince.
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,005
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Very sad. I had to sit down and listen to Heaven and Hell after hearing the news.

:(
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2010
    Options
    2 outstanding performances:

The Last In Line

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iy6URlmeUpk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iy6URlmeUpk&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Stand up and Shout

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mGj6Cj392Cc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mGj6Cj392Cc&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited May 2010
    Options
    67 ?!?!

Ronnie James Dio was about the only person who, IMO, could have stepped into Ozzy's shoes and kept Sabbath working.

Sorry to see he passed...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Have to agree with mrbigbluelight above...no small shoes to fill there!

RIP RJD!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Rest in peace. We will continue to celebrate his career with some amazing albums.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm sure he was cool but his music was awful.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Who?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I was a big fan back in the 80's! Remember seeing them and Megadeth at the Omni in Atlanta on the Dream Evil tour. Sorry to hear of his passing.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • superjunior
    superjunior Posts: 1,632
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Dio was one of the first concerts I went to. very sad
    panasonic th-50pz85u
    pioneer elite vsx-92txh
    pioneer elite bdp-05fd
    emotiva xpa-3
    monster power hdp 2550
    sa 8300 hd dvr
    sda 2b's
    fronts - rti a9's
    center - csi a6
    surrounds - fxi a6's
    sub - polk dsw pro 600
    harmony one
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Damn :( RIP Ronnie.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2010
    Options
    RIP Mr. Dio, you put on some amazing performances.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No one could replace Ozzy and I thought the Ronnie James Dio Sabbath was lesser than original Sabbath. That being said, I enjoyed him in Rainbow and enjoyed his solo stuff. He had a unique, powerful voice and was a pretty good frontman.

RIP.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited May 2010
    Options
    RIP Ronnie......One of the best memories of him was in the early 90's & they played the pecan street festival on 6th street........just a fantastic show & a very crazy crowd......that was when they just started the "noise" ordinance here in Austin ...... they unplugged him cause he went past the ordinance time.......... he was hotter than hell....... they had the riot police close at hand & quickly dispersed the crazy rock & rollers ......

LONG LIVE ROCK & ROLL
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    I don't know if there's any truth in this, but I had heard his voice was so powerful in some recording sessions, he actually broke the microphones. He definitely sang with authority.

Pure BS

RIP RJD...you are a legend!
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The only reason I know who he is is from the Pick of Destiny and soundtrack. Jack Black has got some serious vocal talents himself.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Saw him here at the Blaisdell back in the 80s during his Sacred Heart tour. Dropped a hit of vitamin A and was completely tripping to the pyrotechnics and the dragon battle sequence. It's a wonder I ever survived that decade.

Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto. Awesome show!!!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited May 2010
    Options
    One of the best song's ever written

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CItpwo0JwI0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CItpwo0JwI0&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited May 2010
    Options
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyu17C05jkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyu17C05jkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,259
    edited May 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    2 outstanding performances:
    The Last In Line
    Stand up and Shout

"The Last In Line" is a monster example of anthem rock at its finest. Good call.

Heiney9 wrote:
    No one could replace Ozzy and I thought the Ronnie James Dio Sabbath was lesser than original Sabbath. That being said, I enjoyed him in Rainbow and enjoyed his solo stuff. He had a unique, powerful voice and was a pretty good frontman.

I agree with that totally. The Ozzy/Tony Iommi combo was the best, IMO.
    Heck, they defined heavy metal for me.
    RJD did an excellent job of representing himself, though, and rocked for a long, long time. He done good. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ronnie James Dio =-- stepped up when ozz man went down----the result was Heaven & Hell
    One of the best R &R cd's ever made

somebody wake me up from this nightmare..............
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm at a loss for words. RIP...
  • camp21178
    camp21178 Posts: 273
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The Heaven and Hell "Live at Radio City Music Hall" from 2007 shows Ronnie at his best. He could still hit the high notes at his age. I've been listening to his music all day. We will miss him badly.