Hand **** - Logitech G9 gaming mouse

Options
MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited June 2010 in Video Games
Oh yeah baby! UPS brought me a little PC gaming goodness today.

2pqnxag.jpg

5jzj9u.jpg

This is the coolest mouse Ive ever used. Best Buy has these in their outlet for $40. This is a $100 mouse originally but they recently came out with a 5000 DPI version, called it the G9x and made this one obsolete so theyve gotta clear it out. I was needing a new mouse since my wireless Microsoft was crapping out on me and having never owned a gaming mouse I figured Id give this a shot since it was as cheap as anything of decent quality out there.

It comes with 2 grips. One smooth and slightly larger and one more for grip but smaller. Im liking the larger smooth one right now. Coming from the larger Microsoft, it took me a few minutes to get used to this ones layout. It is pretty different looking and downright fugly. Still, after about 15 minutes it felt as natrual as ever. I still think its a tad too short but nothing I would **** about. If youve got big hands, youll be controlling this one with your fingers. If youve got smaller hands, you can palm it more.

You also get weights. 4, 4 gram and 4, 7 gram. You can use up to 4. I havent tried all the configurations but 4, 4 gram seem to be just right so far.

Performance is life altering! When I got this, I ran downstairs like a little kid and plugged in Crysis and just ran around in circles shooting things for about an hour. The accuracy, precision and control of this thing is unreal. Granted, Im new to high end gaming mice but Ive always used pretty good mice and this thing simply blows them out of the water. I was using a $50 Microsoft laser mouse before and the control and precision of the G9 is staggering when compared to the Microsoft. I never wouldve guessed that a mouse could make gaming this much better! :D

You can set up 3 different profiles for the configuration. That way you can have different DPI settings for games, productivity, web browsing and so on. Overall build quality and feel, feels pretty solid. With the weights in, it feels like a very sturdy, quality piece of gear.

So basically I love this thing! Anybody into PC gaming thinking about upgrading mice or just want a new toy to buy really has no excuse not to get one of these. $40 for a $100 mouse that is considered one of the best if not THE best out there.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I bought the x version, it definitely helped my gaming. I found the wide grip uncomfortable, even for browsing. I also am using the heaviest weight.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Osarion
    Osarion Posts: 180
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I've had a G5 for several years now and it's always been a great mouse. I don't NEED to replace it but for $40 the G9 may be in the cart soon.
  • Bobsama
    Bobsama Posts: 526
    edited May 2010
    Options
    $40 for an adjustable-DPI mouse? Thanks for the heads-up! I have a Logitech G3 that I bought about a year and a half ago; it was Logitech's cheapest adjustable-sensitivity laser mouse. I don't install the software either--two settings (800dpi & 1600dpi) are plenty, especially for a fast & reliable desktop-->game switch.
    polkaudio Monitor 5 Series II
    polkaudio SDA-1 (with the SL1000)
    TEAC AG-H300 MK III stereo receiver
    beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) headphones
    SENNHEISER HD-555 headphones
    Little Dot MK IV tube headphone amp
    Little Dot DAC_I balanced D/A converter
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2010
    Options
    So after 3 days of playing with this thing, Id just like to reiterate how much I love this thing. Been playing Left 4 Dead a ton with this thing. Why God did I wait so long to get a gaming mouse?! :D

I have switched the grips to the smaller, sand paper like grip. It offers a little more control with the finger tips. And Ive settled on only a pair of 4 gram weights in the front of the tray. Any more than that and it was getting a little too much to pick the mouse up when trying to scroll around in a circle for example.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • FHT
    FHT Posts: 14
    edited May 2010
    Options
    nice, i might need to get one of these
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ever used any of the Razer mice? Wondering how this compares.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • MacLeod
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ive felt up a Razer mouse and they feel pretty solid but Ive never used one. Theyre pretty highly regarded so Id guess it would perform as well as this one.

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I like the Logitech mice, most are very comfortable. I almost opted for this one, but chose the Performance MX since I don't game much on the PC.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I have 3 of them, one is a G9x. Great product!
  • Busta
    Busta Posts: 12
    edited June 2010
    Options
    How much better is it than a Mx518?
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's more precise.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hm, I haven't opened the box on this one... been sitting on my desk for a month, since I still use my MX5000... :)
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room